Prong collar

Thread: Prong collar

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultProng collar

How do I know if I have this collar on right and positioned properly??

I took Rowan out tonight.. and although I noticed a small difference.. it wasn't as much as I had expected.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Prong collar

http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

I don't like Leerburg, but this is a good pictorial demonstration of how to fit one.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Thanks Triskster ~ well, I won't be sliding it over her head anymore... that made me nervous. SHe does need some links taken out and I didn't have it on her right ~ so that would make a big difference I am sure.
    Thanks again.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

If you can slide it over her head its too loose. Make sure she never has the collar on when she is playing with other dogs because they can get caught in the collar.
    Olie

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Make sure it's a quality collar too- like a sprenger.

I notice a big difference between when I get stuck at my parents' house and have to use their dog's cheap prong (read: big prongs, no stamped name) on Gabby versus her smaller pronged Sprenger collar.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Piper is offline Member

In the literature I've read one phrase that sticks in my mind and helped me to size and adjust the sizing as my Piper grew larger while using the prong is "like a belt, not a necklace". It was sized properly by the trainer when she was small, but as she grew I found myself questioning when to add links - if I added a linka dn it slid down and hung like a necklace (low and loose on her neck) I knew it was not yet time to add a new link.

I also agree with the recommendation for a Herm Sprenger brand collar. I ordered mine online after using an unbranded one I had picked up at the pet store and I was surprised at how much higher quality the Sprenger is (nice smooth ends on the prongs, more substantial overall). I had no idea how crappy my first one was until I got the good one. It's a worthwhile investment.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I remember when we first started using our prong in our advanced obedience, our trainer took links out because what we thought was tight enough was too loose in her opinion! I would slip a link in before class and she always caught me.

regarese is offline Senior Member

what size collar did you get?