Private Training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Training

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultPrivate Training

Yikes. I'm searching around looking for obedience classes today for my 4 month old lab. Just got off the phone with a guy that sounded awesome UNTIL he said I would be leaving my puppy at his kennel for 2 WEEKS. He would train her one on one for 2 weeks and then he would teach me how to be her leader. What do you think about that??? NO WAY could I be apart from her for 2 weeks. Not only that, I was hoping to get her in a class situation where she could learn, and also be with other dogs. He sounds very professional, but I just couldn't do that. Not to mention, it is REALLY expensive. Anybody here have any thoughts or experiences with something like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Private Training

I understand where you are coming from and I see where the trainer is coming from as well. One one hand, you seem to be very attached to your dog and don't want to be away for an extended period of time. One the other hand, at our kennel, for very good, solid obedience we take the dog for a month, working at least 20 minutes a day. I think "your" trainer's setup there is reasonable, and would really be a growing and maturing period for your dog. However, the class set-up sounds like fun too and if I were just going for some obedience, I think that is the one I would go for. But don't put the pro trainer out just because you would be leaving the pup at his kennel. I am sure you could at least come to visit every 3 days or so.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

dogtrainer4God......I do understand what you're saying. I'm not at all trying to put down the trainer. I think it is a great solution for some folks, and I'm sure this trainer and those like him are wonderful and do wonders with the dogs they teach. It's just that I cannot see myself going that route. I would miss her terribly, plus----we can't really afford what he is charging. Also, I think I would prefer to be more involved in the training process. Thanks for your input though!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

My opinion is you can never get enough socialization and the classes for a young dog are really beneficial. If I was trying to train a hunting dog and I didn't have the time I might consider turning them over to a trainer. But I think the most special bond you will ever get with your dog is when the two of you work together.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I MUCH prefer those situations in which the dog owner learns/is trained in HOW to train the Lab.

The owner will be with the LAB always, in all situations.

For an owner to know HOW to train (or extinguish) a response is invaluable -- I think.

MY view is to learn as much as you can about how to train a Lab.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Personnaly, I prefer the class lessons where you go with your dog, especialy at this young age, and for the basic stuff. There a lot of people that do send their dogs off to a pro for specialized training (like field work). But, like you, I'd miss my kids too much!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Personnaly, I prefer the class lessons where you go with your dog, especialy at this young age, and for the basic stuff. There a lot of people that do send their dogs off to a pro for specialized training (like field work). But, like you, I'd miss my kids too much!
    I agree. The average dog and the average owner does not need private training. Group classes are much more beneficial. Training is one of the best parts of dog ownership -- don't miss out by letting someone else do it for you.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Also, there are a good proportion of 'in home' or 'board and train' facilities with questionable methods. What goes on behind closed doors? The prices are often outrageous as well. Obedience doesn't necessarily transfer well, so you may end up with a puppy that listens to the trainer, not you.

My recommendation - either hire a private trainer to do lessons in YOUR home, or sign up for a class.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I did a several weeks of private training when she was left at the kennel during the day.

There were many things that factored into this decision though:

1) I was in the middle of first semester law school finals.
    2)- I knew about 15 people from the Lab club that had used this trainer
    3) I had the option of picking her up every night- and I did so.
    4) My parents, boyfriend, best friend, and I all showed up at random, unannounced times to see what was going on- if Gabby was working and if so, how- and if not, what was she doing.

It can be very good. It can be very sketchy.

The best thing- if you're going to do it- is to write out a plan in advance with the trainer. Cover what you're comfortable with and what you're not. Do you want collar corrections? Want only positive reinforcement? What are the commands you want? That kidn of thing is important.

One of the most important things about dog training is consistency and unlike trickster and bob (sorry guys), I don't feel that the average dog owner is capable of or motivated to put in the work between classes that is necessary to sucessfully train a dog. Obviously, there are tons of exceptions to that- and I don't consider most members of this board to be average dog owners- but that's definitely something I saw when taking Gabby to the lower levels of obedience classes.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I like the class setting so I can also learn myself how to teach my dog and how to handle her. Our obedience school has 4 week intensive training program. You drop off your dog in the morning and pick up in the evening. He/she gets at least 1 hour of training each day divided into a few training sessions, play time with day care dogs and crate time. So your dog is socializing, getting used to be quiet in the crate besides learning other commands. It is fairly expensive but I am sure it works for people who are busy to do the job themselves. In my opinion it is better than not training your dog at all, but if you take classes, you will have really good time.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast