Is it puppy to puppy aggression? (6 pics)

Thread: Is it puppy to puppy aggression? (6 pics)

Simple Survival is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs it puppy to puppy aggression? (6 pics)

Hey guys. I searched for the topic before I wrote this and I didn't see anything that really answers my question.

I have a soon-to-be 12 week old lab puppy named Toby. We were in the process of rescuing a 10-12 week old boxer/pit mix but ended up having to take him last night due to some old owner drama (Rocky was found tied to an outside A/C unit for a few days with no food, water, or shelter).

Anyway, I'm new to puppyhood all together and I just can't tell if their playing is getting too rough. It involves lots of biting, growling, barking, a little whimpering, lunging. Toby is constantly biting Rocky's face and Rocky bites at Toby's neck. A lot of the time Rocky just wants to lay down and chew a bone whereas Toby will not let him have a moment's peace. He is always biting Rocky. And I've seen Rocky mount Toby a few times. Is this because they are both males and new to each other? And after all the fighting and barking, they will share the same water bowl. Neither have food or toy aggression so far.

I've included a few pictures that I snapped to add a little visuals. I don't know if it will help or not.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would hate to have to give up Rocky because they didn't get along.

I can&#39;t tell if I&#39;m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering.<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it puppy to puppy aggression? (6 pics)

No need to worry. This is how puppies and a lot of dogs play!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

kaytris is offline Senior Member

In the middle of play (mutual play, both dogs involved) - what happens if you remove Toby? Does Rocky leave the area to go do something else, or does he try to reengage Toby? If the latter, let them be. If the former, Rocky's had enough. I would also occasionally seperate them and initiate some self-control for both dogs.

Also, it is IMPERATIVE that you get both pups out on their for socializing and training. The big pitfall in raising two puppies is that they can become too bonded to each other, to the extent that the human family is way down on the importance scale...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    In the middle of play (mutual play, both dogs involved) - what happens if you remove Toby? Does Rocky leave the area to go do something else, or does he try to reengage Toby? If the latter, let them be. If the former, Rocky's had enough. I would also occasionally seperate them and initiate some self-control for both dogs.

Also, it is IMPERATIVE that you get both pups out on their for socializing and training. The big pitfall in raising two puppies is that they can become too bonded to each other, to the extent that the human family is way down on the importance scale...
    It's half and half. Sometimes Rocky will walk away and lay down next to a toy. But then there are times when Toby walks away to get some water and Rocky will go running after him.

But I guess this is normal and I will just keep an eye on them for a while and make sure everything is okay. Rocky definitely seems like he is a lot more mellow than Toby.

Thanks for your replies guys.
    I can&#39;t tell if I&#39;m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering.<br /><br />

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

w wouldn't worry, theyre playing!!!
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Kayte85 is offline Senior Member

yup! definitely playing
    <br />*He is my friend, my partner, my defender, my dog. I am his<br />life, his love, his leader. He will be mine, faithful and true, to the<br />last beat of his heart. I owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.*

ThatsMyGirl Guest

They are having a blast, aren't they? Looks like a game of Bitey Face if ever I've seen one!

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I looks like they are just playing to me but if one is trying to walk away and the other keep persuing them I would seperate them for a little bit to let them rest. I completly agree you need to do things with them individually as much as possible too so they bond with you not just with each other.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to chalk up the angry sounding barking and growling to playing. I had in the back of my mind that since this is the first dog my Toby has seen since his littermates that he might have just been a tad over excited about playing. Finally someone he can bite on and not get a "No bite!".

I'll definitely keep a watch over them while they play but they are both sound asleep at the moment so it seems all is well.

And I played on doing the individual thing. I plan on enrolling them both separately in a puppy kindergarten class as soon as they both have their last round of shots.

Again, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it!