Just Labradors banner

Walking and worn out......

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MaxsMom 
#1 ·
I have been taking Rowan for more daily walks now that the weather is getting nicer. And I must tell you ~ she is exhausting me.
We were out this morning using a 5 ft lead with just a little slack... and a choke collar (from obedience class). It was a fairly thin chain.. anyway, it broke this am during a correction.

So tonight I used something like a check choke collar.. with not much affect. We began walking down a hill and she spotted 4 kids walking about 500 ft in front of us... she went ape... not listening.... pulling... and not taking any correction...... so I ended up changing out route.... she wasn't bad.. but still needed lots of correction as was not 'healing'..... then another dog came along.. off leash.. with no owner... and I chased it away... and had to literally PULL Rowan down the street. A few times I cut her off into a snow bank... I was at my wits end and actually came back tonight EXHAUSTED.

PLEASE HELP. I love getting out and walking. but my girl is driving me CRAZY!!

#2 ·
I would say my #1 problem with Sammi is walking on lead. This has all been corrected with a gentle leader. I know others have differant answers, just know that this worked for me, first time and everytime. I wasn't' a big fan, thought they looked to much like muzzles, but she can carry sticks, drink, play and genuinely have a good time and my shoulder/arm remain in place. Do have to add that Sam gets plenty off of leash run time, and her recall is 100%, but for those walks in the neighborhood and park, where she needs to behave at all times, this has been wonderful! Good Luck, I know it will get better :)

#5 ·
Premier -- the mfr -- makes two "Gentle Leaders" and I've used both.

Their first is a head collar.

While this works well for some dogs, MANY dogs resent the strap that goes over their muzzle. Some dogs fight it continually, some fight it off and on, a few accept it.

Their "Easy Walk" harness has MUCH better acceptance and at least as good or much better results. However, it does take a lot of re-adjusting of it to get it properly fitted.

It does significantly reduce pulling.

#7 ·
Sammi initially didn't like it, but within a walk or two she was just fine! Guess she just didn't care as long as she got to go for a walk. Ours is a head collar, will take a pic. tomorrow of Sammi with hers and post it for you. I do have to emphasize that Sammi does get plenty of off lead time, not sure this makes a differant, just know if she has had a day of running, playing and swimming, the next day of a nice brisk walk with the gentle leader goes really well :)

#8 ·
We have SEVERAL feet of snow in our backyard so once that disappears my husband is going to put up a fence and she will get lots of off leash yard time ~ so I know that will help.

She is SO excited seeing other people too ~ it is like she shuts me out.

I would love to see a pic of what you are referring to on Sammi!!! Thanks so much.

#9 ·
Gentle Leader:

And the almost identical Halti:

I think firstly, you need to relax. She is still a young dog and she is going to misbehave. We have all been there. You need to ditch the choke chain. They are ok for reinforcing/correcting known behaviors in a well trained adult but they are not suitable for puppies. If anything, used incorrectly, they can be damaging. Now, I prefer to teach a dog to walk in a controlled manner through training alone but I think most people could benefit from a training collar. If you don't like the look of the GL/Halti, maybe try a body harness. The company who makes the Halti also make harnesses:

As do the company who make the Gentle Leader:

#10 ·
The prong and Easy Walk Harness are the training tools I've settled on for Mocha. Both have been very effective and Mocha loves them both. We've tried the Gentle leader and Halti head collar she hated them and after 6 months of really trying to get her to accept them it wasn't getting any better so I found something else. The Easy Walk Harness is different from a regular harness because it attaches in the front so when the dog lounges it turns them sideways and breaks the momentum. It's been pretty effective for Mocha. With the Prong it needs to be not to big but not to tight it should be right behind the ears up high on the neck to be effective and safe. Normally not much of a corrections is needed some say none. They kind of correct themselves when they pull against it.
Good luck.

#11 ·
Heres the pics. of Sammi- took them today just before heading out on our walk. Know it doesn't work for everyone, but I was surprised how it worked for us! Good luck, I also know it gets easier as she grows up! :)-Oh yeah when taking the pic.s noticed that it was getting a little tight, so made a quick adjustment, didn't want you to think I was torturing my pup ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

#12 ·
I bought that same hamburger for Amber; she tore it apart in a couple of days (to be expected as she is three years old). I bought the gentle lead too, i haven't used it on her yet as they say you must have her adjust to it by reiforcing that it is a good thing. Paring it with a treat at first and letting her sniff at it. I am not sure about your dog but most people say you do not need to transition. The first time i tried it on her she attempted to take it off with her paws.....best of luck.
Stef and Amber

#13 ·
I use the Easy Walk Harness with Max and it works very well. He's a very social pup he thinks everyone wants to play with him...he pulls; when he sees other dogs and people. So, when he pulls and get very excited we stop and I put him on a sit/stay until the dog passes. We have a much pleasant walk now with the easy walk harness. I use a 4ft leash with it; I get better control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.