Another puppy behavior question...

Thread: Another puppy behavior question...

megsmarch88 is offline Member

DefaultAnother puppy behavior question...

Sorry to keep bugging everyone!

Should I be concerned that my 10 wk old pup likes to play "tug" with my 5 yo lab? I don't generally play this game with my older lab, b/c I don't like to play anything that could encourage aggressive behavior, but those two always want to play with the same toy and invariably end up in a tug of war, with tails wagging, but growling the whole time. Now, I should mention that Nellie, my older lab, is considerably gentler when she plays tug with Duke...she just usually stands still and lets him pull a little. When she plays with me, she shakes her whole head, and digs her heels into the floor, etc etc!! Funny how she knows to be easier on a puppy!
    Any thoughts on this? Should I let it continue in moderation, or should I put a stop to it right away so Duke doesn't behave too aggressively? And it's quite possible that I am overanalyzing EVERYTHING! ;D Just wanted to be on the safe side.
    Thanks!
    Meg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another puppy behavior question...

I love the way Labs play with each other. I don't see anything wrong with 2 Labs playing tug with each other.

The one thing that would bother me about ME playing tug with a Lab is if it encouraged the Lab to not release something it held in its mouth in order to play tug at a time I wanted the object. If the Lab realizes it's just a game and that you decide when it's over, that's good. If you play tug with your Lab, use it as a chance to also do some training so it'll learn to release when you say "Give!"

One of the games other Labs frequently play with Puff is chewing on her neck with Puff often on her back. Then they exchange places and Puff is on top while the other is on its back. When Puff leaves our weekly Saturday LabFest, we often head straight for the lake and let some swimming retrieves wash off the wreath of saliva around her neck.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with them playing tug with each other. I wouldn't encourage them playing tug with you though like Bob said just because I want them to release a toy or whatever when I tell them to.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

megsmarch88 is offline Member

OK--this is good news, b/c they're crazy about playing tug! And, it gives me a chance to take a short breather!

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

My kids play tug with eachother all the time. They often sound ferocious, but it's all in fun. I also play tug with all of my dogs with no issues
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />