Vet called....early heat???

Thread: Vet called....early heat???

DefaultVet called....early heat???

My vet called to tell me that Sadie is fine and everything went very well. She is 18 weeks today. He told me that she was just about to go into an "early heat", her ovaries were swollen that is how he was able to tell. I couldn't ask questions b/c I was on my cell phone an it was loud at work. I will call back after work to check on her. I always thought that pups wouldn't go into heat until 6 months. Is this normal? Sorry I am posting so much on her being spayed, she's my first pup so I am unfamiliar with any of this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Vet called....early heat???

Just based on the board here, the earliest I've ever read of a girl coming into season is 6 months. To give you the other end of the spectrum, mine will be 22 months old in a week or so, and she hasn't come in yet. So it really varies. I'd be willing to bet that most come in somewhere between 8 and 14 months (just based on what I've read here, which is something less than scientific ).

Hope your girl is doing well tonight after her spay.

I will talk to him today when I pick her up. From what he was saying that it would have only been a few weeks that she would have come into an "early heat". I have a labrador book and it does say it can happen from 4 months on, depending on the pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Seems really early to me too but I am definatley not an expert. If it is an "early heat" make sure to ask the vet if you need to take all the normal heat precautions. If she could become pregnant as she is way to young to handle that I would think.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

I had her spayed two days ago. I said the word wrong, it was called a "silent heat". He didn't know until he opened her to spay her and her ovaries were very swollen. The vet told me that if I didn't spay her she would have gone into heat soon.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I hope she recovers quickly
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I guess you learn something new each day. I have heard of silent heats, but never heard of a lab puppy going into heat before 6 months. In fact, they tend to go into heat later in general. But I suppose it can happen. Good thing you got her spayed when you did.