When the door bell rings...

Thread: When the door bell rings...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen the door bell rings...

I wish Buck didn't bark. Any one try to train their dog not to bark when the door bell rings? How did you do it?

We have a lot of friends and family members who are afraid of dogs. They also like to drop by without giving us any warning so Buck isn't always in his crate when they come by. Most of them have warmed up to him since he isn't exactly a scary dog. But they do get terrified when he barks as soon as the door bell rings. *WOOF WOOF* *WOOF WOOF* *Runs in a circle* *plops butt down right infront of the door*

He doesn't charge out the door. I managed to fix that issue but the insane excitement when the bell rings...I wish I could curb that a bit. I can't seem to get him to be "calm" when this happens.
    Also, if I move into an apartment with him...I rather he didn't bark like that every time someone drops by...Is it possible to train him not to bark? Oh sometimes when a door bell rings on TV he thinks it's our front door : Takes him about 20 seconds to figure out...oh wait false alarm!

TIA!!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When the door bell rings...

I like the fact my dogs bark when the doorbell rings. Don't forget that if an intruder wants to break into your home the first thing they will do is ring the doorbell. If they hear a big barking dog behind the door, they are going to move on to an "easier" target. In theory, anyway.

I don't allow incessant barking however. When I say its time to shut up, it is time to shut up.

I think what I would let Buck do is bark a few times and then BEFORE you open the dog, leash him up and put him in a sit-stay. Give a very firm 'QUIET!' command. As soon as the barking stops, 'Gooood quiet!', small food reward, and open the door. DO NOT open the door until he stops barking. Get a friend or family member to help you with this rather than waiting for any random person to come.

Thanks for the tip!

That's more of what I want I guess. I just want to be able to make him quiet on command. I don't mind so much the "terror" he instills in the heart of the person on the other side of the door I know he means no harm and it's just excitement. But I want to be in control of the barks.

Again...thanks for the tip ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JeffG is offline Senior Member

I'll agree with Trickster here...I like it when Ty lets out a couple of "big boy" barks when someone is at the door.

Case-in-point...last Sunday, i was away from the house washing the cars. My wife and Ty were at home. Middle of the day, a guy walks up to the front door (We had the solid door open, and the glass/screen door shut) and rings the doorbell. Ty lets out some big boy barks and my wife walks cautiously to the door. She's having to hold him back while the guy proceeds to say, "yeah..i was supposed to pick up a car here or somethin...". No professional clothing or anything. She told him he has the wrong house and shut the door. She even said he acted like he was going to come in when she first cracked the door.

SO, I was proud of my boy then!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG
    I'll agree with Trickster here...I like it when Ty lets out a couple of "big boy" barks when someone is at the door.

Case-in-point...last Sunday, i was away from the house washing the cars. My wife and Ty were at home. Middle of the day, a guy walks up to the front door (We had the solid door open, and the glass/screen door shut) and rings the doorbell. Ty lets out some big boy barks and my wife walks cautiously to the door. She's having to hold him back while the guy proceeds to say, "yeah..i was supposed to pick up a car here or somethin...". No professional clothing or anything. She told him he has the wrong house and shut the door. She even said he acted like he was going to come in when she first cracked the door.

SO, I was proud of my boy then!
    Way to go Ty!!! ;D I know the big boy barks definitely do come in handy. Similar incident happened to me too! It was around 8pm back in december so, it was dark outside. Now Buck does not bark when someone is simply walking by our property. But he does bark when someone steps onto our lawn. He will let out a couple warning barks. Well, anways that evening I was out in the yard as usual with Buck while he had to pee and poop. I was not really paying attention to my surroundings...he suddenly goes WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF! I turn around and I see this guy had just walked up our lawn straight up towards the front door. As soon as he heard Buck he stepped back a few steps. I was definitely startled by the guy...So I just told him to step off the property and put Buck in a sit/stay. Then the guy asked where some house was...I was like um down the street to the left. And he left. I am definitely glad Buck was there to woof him away! Who knows who the heck that dude was! Who walks straight onto someone's lawN!??! He didn't even use the walkway or the driveway. Just cut across to get towards the front door :-X!

It's weird I can get Buck to be quiet on command when we are outside when he gives warning barks for someone's presence on the property...but when the door bell rings it's CRRAAAZAZY time! :P

imported_merlin is offline Senior Member

I saw an episode of 'its me or the dog' where these dogs would not stop barking. Victoria made somone come round and ring the bellof the owners house. The dogs would bark of course, but she made the owners not move until the dog had stopped.
    The period of time that the dogs would not bark for increased until the owner could actually leave the room before the dogs barked, although, as soon as the dog barks, you go back to the room and continue what you were originally doing. Hopefully in time you can get further and further to the door without the dogs barking. Is that explained properly? You certainly need some patient friends to stand at the door for hours on end waiting. lol. or you could get the door bell, and actually have it in your pocket and press it?
    <br />[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=515&amp;i=mg7637smallna4.jpg]

I get what you are saying

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great training tip - and a great way to get rid of unwanted visitors too - if you know who's ringing in advance..."hmm, don't like them, we'll wait here a while...still barking, wonder if the jerk's left yet..."