Face Nipping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face Nipping

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultFace Nipping

Our Lab is 4 months old and until recently, I thought the play-biting was getting a little better each day. It seemed as if she was doing it less and less. The past few days however, she has been bitey (usually in the morning and before bedtime) but what really bothers me, is she has been nipping at our faces. She doesn't ALWAYS go for the face, but when she does it can really hurt! Is this normal? Or is it a red flag? She is a very good puppy and a very sweet girl. I don't think she is trying to be aggressive, but just playing. Am I wrong about this? I really want her to stop going for the face. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Face Nipping

Unfortunatly I don't have any advice. I can totally relate to you and your situation. Sadie is 4 months and her nipping has gone from bad to worse. I thought she was doing well and then all of a sudden over the past week or so she has been a nightmare. We correct her but sometimes it just makes her snap more. What I have read is that she is teething so that is why it's worse now. I hope that's true, I certainly don't want this to be like this forever.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Don't know what others will say to this but I didn't mess around with it. Mya did it once or twice about that age and I saw it coming. I smacked her immediatley across the muzzle and firmly said no bite and quit playing with her. Had to do it once after that and have had no problem since. She wasn't hand shy afterward either.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

regarese is offline Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. Somebody please reassure me that there are VERY rarely if ever vicious labs.

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Don't worry!! My puppy used to do this. He is 8 months old now, and occasionally does it if someone stands over him - he jumps up to say hi. I am pretty sure this is just puppy excitement cause he is not vicious and he never nips anymore??

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

First of all, with a young puppy, your face should be nowhere where she can get it. Get off the floor for the time being.

Enroll in an obedience class/puppy socialization class. It helps tremendously.

When she does playbite, there are several options. You need to pick one for several weeks and be consistent. The first is to get up and walk away. Dogs learn very quickly to stop doing things that end the fun time. The second is to hold the muzzle closed and say no bite.

Others will have more opinions, and I would suggest you read the best advice thread at the top for more advice. However- don't hit the dog (this should go without saying) and don't allow people on the floor to play with the puppy until play biting ends.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

regarese is offline Senior Member

How long do you walk away for though? I'm thinking too long and they forget why you left, and too short, they think it's a new game? ???

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Misty is 17 weeks old. Don't worry -- your dog is not being vicious. Mine does this too -- I have come to decide that all of her biting is not vicious, just puppy play. If you read many of the threads here, you will see many references to two puppies playing together and having a fun game of "bitey face." So, my guess is, this is the same thing they are doing with us when we get down on their level -- "let's play bitey face!!"

Steve

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

It is acceptable with another dog, but not a person. I agree with keeping your face away from your dog when they are wound up and want to play. I think you just have to reinforce no bite and trade yourself for a toy to play with. You want to make sure that they realize they cannot bite on your like they do another dog. My male has an amazingly soft mouth and when he touches my skin he immediately backs off. My female is not bad, but she is no where as gentle as my male, but we work on gentle all of the time and even at 2yrs old.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

dakkerdog and bebopalula --

Please understand that my post was NOT to imply that this behavior is "ok" toward humans. I was only saying that I didn't think this was "vicious" behavior. That's all. Certainly, I would not allow it, but I was only saying that I think the puppy is exhibiting normal puppy behavior and not some "red-flag, vicious" tendency.

Certainly, do what you can to keep your face out of "harm's way," while correcting the behavior when it occurs.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast