Puppy came home with fleas :( HELP!

Thread: Puppy came home with fleas :( HELP!

Piper is offline Member

DefaultPuppy came home with fleas :( HELP!

No doubt about it - Cassie came home with us from the breeder yesterday with fleas . She's scratching like a bandit and I can see them in her coat. I've caught and picked off a few, but I'm sure there are tons more. She's 10 weeks old today - not sure of her weight, but would guesstimate 13-15 lbs. What can I do to try and get this under control before my house gets infested? Can I use Frontline (or another flea/tick solution) on her at this age? I have an appt to take her into the vet for her first check-up on Tuesday, but I don't want to wait until then to do something about this. Help!
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Piper is offline Member

DefaultRe: Puppy came home with fleas :( HELP!

I flew around cyberspace and found that Frontline Plus (which I use for Piper) is safe to use for puppies over 8 weeks of age. I sent DH to the store for her proper dosage for her. I'll use it as soon as he gets home. I'm not entirely comfortable doing it without the vet's OK. She seems so little to be dumping chemicals on, but I can't let her suffer nor risk my house and/or Piper getting infested, so I'm going to trust that the packaging and literature is accurate about the safety.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I had 4 wk old foster puppies with fleas and we safely treated them with revolution. My dogs were on their k9 advantix and were completely unaffected and we caught it before I had any problems in the house. Make sure you tell your breeder
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I think Cassie will be fine. Buck was started on Frontline around that age. As long as you have her weight right it should be ok.

There's also a spray available that you can use to treat your home to prevent an infestation in your home. Since, the pup came to your home with fleas...I'd look into treating your home just incase.

Good luck!
    Congrats on getting Cassie
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3