Concerned about the age of our new puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about the age of our new puppy

mom2ruger is offline Member

DefaultConcerned about the age of our new puppy

We live in a small town with no known "breeders" so normally when you want a purebreed you have to look online and have it shipped here. Anyways just as we were trying to find a lab we heard about a guy in town who had lab pups. The litter was not planned, it was an accident, but both parents are labs. Anyways to get to the point here the guy is taking care of the pup (9) alone and they are all being raised in his house. He wants us to pick up the pup this sunday, but the pup will only be 6 weeks old. I have done a lot of reading and I know this is the critical socialization time for the pup with it's littermates and it is best to wait until the pup is 8 weeks old. The guy sounds really firm about wanting the pup picked up by sunday and even though I can't wait to get him I want what is best for him but then I also don't want him to be given away because we want to wait. What should I do? If he did give him away it's not like we could just go get another, it costs a fortune not only to buy a pup but to have it shipped here (Alaska).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mich is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Concerned about the age of our new puppy

Seven weeks old is actually an optimal time to take the puppy. Wait until his 49th day. Try to stall the guy if at all possible until that day, then don't fret.

Even if you end up taking the pup beforehand, the puppy will survive and thrive. Don't feel guilty. You're bringing the pup into a loving and nurturing environment, so smile.
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

He's eager to off-load the pup because it's starting to cost him in food/time/effort/energy. A reputable breeder will not try to house a pup at 6 wks. Period.

A reputable breeder will appreciate that you want to wait the FULL 8 wks. If he threatens to give 'your' pup away before then, call his bluff. "Okay, fine, Mr Breeder. I guess we have no transaction. I'll be obtaining a dog elsewhere. Thank you very much."

He'll do an about-face so fast you head will spin.

And if he doesn't, you're better off!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deific Guest

Introduce the puppy to as many new things as possible when you bring him home. I read it somewhere, but I saw something about 101 things to introduce your puppy in the first coupel weeks. Strangers with hats, Strangers with facial hair, babies, kids, etc.

Mybabymambo Guest

I know the guy shouldn't give the puppy away that early. But should she really not take it home at the age. If she doesnt someone else will. She may be the better one to take him, even if its early. If she doesn't maybe he would be one of those guys just to drop it off at the shelter. The puppy would have a better chance going home early to a loving home than going to a shelter at that age. IMO.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Are we buying this pup or merely adopting him/her? Is there paperwork involved? A contract? Even in an adoption-for-free situation, there should be some agreement between the two parties, shouldn't there? And in that agreement, the adopter/buyer should be able to ask for 8 wks. ANY adopter/buyer.....

I do agree that a home is better than a shelter. But rather than show that card, I'd play the hand from the other end and contact the local shelters and tell them that if these pups come in, to call me ASAP. Then Asshat breeder is out of the transaction altogether and new owner gets the dog from the shelter like any other adoption.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

We had Saska at 6wks old which I was very worried about, but luckily we had no problems. Good luck I am sure you will make the right decision for you

Mybabymambo Guest

Just wanted to add we adopted Mambo at 6 weeks as well. But we got him from a shelter.

mom2ruger is offline Member

Thanks for your replies. We are paying for the dog but only $200 because he is not papered which we don't care. The guy is really nice so I am going to ask him if he would just keep the pup an extra week, hopefully he will. If not then I guess I am going to have to hope, pray and introduce him to things. I forgot to ask in my first post, but when should he have his first vaccination and what age should he be neutered? Thanks!

mich is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabymambo
    I know the guy shouldn't give the puppy away that early. But should she really not take it home at the age. If she doesnt someone else will. She may be the better one to take him, even if its early. If she doesn't maybe he would be one of those guys just to drop it off at the shelter. The puppy would have a better chance going home early to a loving home than going to a shelter at that age. IMO.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast