Behavior in crate has changed...

Thread: Behavior in crate has changed...

sblab is offline Senior Member

DefaultBehavior in crate has changed...

We've had Ellie for 3 weeks now. She has always been good in her crate, and had even been sleeping through most of the night - usually getting up around 4am to go potty. The last few days she has been crying to get out around 3 times a night. I take her out to potty, then, when I put her back in she screams for a while, which she hadn't done in the past. We've been giving her a lot of "time outs" in the crate lately for her awful biting. I'm wondering if that is what is making her act this way. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Behavior in crate has changed...

Prolly shouldn't use the crate as punishment - only a happy thing! Biting will fade - eventually - with use of "no bite!" consistantly...will bet you get better more precise advice shortly - but it will work out soon!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have to agree. The crate should be a very happy place. I promise that the biting will fade -- at about 5 - 6 months of age It makes a big difference once their adult teeth come in. In the meantime, be consistent w/ your "no bites" -- and once Ellie nips, STOP playing with her. They catch on pretty quick that you quit if they get too wound up. All that is just part of puppyhood, but you are going to want/need to use the crate for a while so you want only good thoughts associated with it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mich is offline Senior Member

Dogs aren't people. They do not understand nor respond appropriately to "time outs" or "spankings" of any kind. And, if you put them in their crates for time out when they are bad, they will associate being in the crate with punishment, which is negative training.

Dogs understand Dog Language. Have you ever seen a mother dog put her puppies in time out or or spank them? NO. They employ other methods, which in fact, work very effectively when people use the same methods in training a dog -- far more effectively than alternate methods.

If her behavior at night has changed, don't punish her for communicating "something" to you. Your role is to determine what the "something" is. Maybe, just maybe, she needs to go the potty earlier. Or perhaps she is developing a medical condition (like a urinary infection, which is common with puppies who have to hold it long periods of time) that can be resolved with medication. Or maybe, she just wants to be with you.

Whatever the case, when she awakens you, you get up and take her out, then bring her directly back and into the crate with little to no stimulation. She will come to understand that at night she is only allowed up and out to pee. This should work.

&lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Also, I posted the below earlier today regarding biting. You might consider it.

========================
    We had the same problem when we got Rocket at 7 wks old. He would constantly bite on my 6yo son, me, anyone.

My son would do the "turn your back on him and ignore him" thing, but it only led to my son never getting to play with Rocket because he was always turning his back.

When we started puppy kindergarten, they told me to do the same thing - but it wasn't working. Then the following week after no change, they told me to do something different. It worked, and it has also worked with two of my friend's puppies - one a lab and one a weimeraner.

(It sounds worse than it is):
    I would play with Rocket allowing him to put his mouth over my arm and bite me, then I would push my arm towards and into the back of his mouth while simultaneously saying "NO BITE" in my "growly" training voice.

First, when you are doing this, they release their grip and they don't hurt your skin compared to when you are ripping your arm out of their baby teeth clenches. The first couple of times will certainly startle them since they are not expecting it.

Second, they don't like it and don't want you to do it. You start to notice they will begin avoiding that type of confrontation.

Third, when they do play with you appropriately, be sure and tell them "good girl"/"good boy" so they know so.

After I did it a few times, I could actually put my hands on his mouth and play around with him. When he'd open his mouth I'd say "No Bite" and he wouldn't. Before I knew it, he wasn't biting at all. I had my son watch me and do the same thing while I watched them. It just about eliminated the problem very quickly. Later during play if he did it again, forgetting the earlier lesson, I repeated. By the following week's class I was able to report to everyone that my dog wasn't biting anymore. I started him in puppy kindergarten at 9wks old, so I had him trained not to bite by 11wks.

He's 9mo now and to this day he doesn't bite any of us. I even test him sometimes to see if he'll play hard with me, but he never does.

I DO, however, encourage and praise licking. We love kisses at my house and I get lots and lots of them!!!
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We'll have to stop using the crate/time out thing. We'll also give the other suggestions a try.

I am going to be so thrilled when that stage has passed! 5-6 months seems like a loooonnnng time :-\

I can remember feeling like the 1 1/2 weeks it took to housetrain mine seemed like foooorrreeeevvvveeerrrr when we were going thru it.

You'll look back one day and realize how fast the time really went by and that it wasn't so bad afterall.

I'd have another puppy in a heartbeat. They're only a puppy for a moment......

I know, even though she is a biting monster, she is SO cute, and I'll miss that. I'm amazed at how fast she is growing!