Clicker training, any advice?

Thread: Clicker training, any advice?

milomc72 is offline Senior Member

DefaultClicker training, any advice?

Poppy has been diagnosed with CHD and as a result is on controlled exercise and hydrotherapy. In order to stimulate her i have decided to do clicker training...so far she will sit, "shake paws" and "wave", has anybody got any other suggestions to help me?

Thanks
    Michelle

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Clicker training, any advice?

Here's a whole host of links:

http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/tricks.html

If you don't have it, you might want to get The Power of Positive Dog Training, by Pat Miller, which has detailed instructions for how to shape tricks as well as more basic obedience.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I very much wish I was flexible enough to learn to do clicker training well but, in my brief trials with it, my timing is much too imprecise so it's better for Puff to use the praise or kibble reinforcement method I'm more skilled at and which does not require such precision timing.

I did buy and use a computer program/game, "Sniffy, the Virtual Rat," which trains you to use clicker training; many might find it helpful. It teaches a variety of helpful learning principles and techniques and refines timing. It helped me decide against using a clicker with Puff. Clicker training, properly done, IS a far faster method of training (but not if you're a klutz in applying it). You can find "Sniffy" by Googling the long title.

Karen Pryor has several books, including "Click for Joy" which would also be useful to you.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

well some good things to teach are look and touch. For Look just hold a treat in each hand with your hands out away from your sides. she will probably look at one of the hands with a treat in it. just wait till she looks at your facce then click and give the treat that was in the opposite hand that she was looking at. This teaches her to look at your eyes which is very good for attention and other exercises. Touch is that she must touch her nose to your hand and when she does you click and reward. Moving the hand around to different positions. both of these can be done while the dog is sitting laying or standing. you can also teach her other things like praying by luring her to touch her nose to her paws and then adding time to click.. you can also teach her the names of toys by having her touch a certain toy with her nose and then clicking and treating. you can also teach her to shake her head yes or no on command. etc.. but the look and attention are the more important ones to teach as they lead to a ton of other exercises once she is up and moving again.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'm having a lot of fun with the very useful "EASY button" from Staples/Office Depot. I've now got two dogs fighting to see who gets there first to hit the "That was Easy" button. (If your dog knows touch with either a paw or nose, its easy to get them to hit the button....