On the couch..

Thread: On the couch..

tamikap2004 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOn the couch..

My 4yr chocolate that my husband and I just adopted from a lab rescue likes to get on the sofa. B/c he is completely housebroken, when we run out for short periods of time we leave him out but when we come back he is on the sofa. I think that his previous owner may have allowed him to do this, but some day I would like to have a really nice set of living room furniture and not have my 82 lb lab on it. Is there anything I can do other than telling him down, redirecting him to his bed or putting him in a crate to correct this behavior?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kjustiss Guest

DefaultRe: On the couch..

I think the crate might be the best way to go.

Roscoe will sneak onto the couch when he thinks we are asleep. We have started putting something on the couch so he can't get up there. We don't use the crate anymore, or he would be in there at night.

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

When we had our Max, at night we'd lay a couple of newspapers across the couch. He didn't like the sound and would never try to go up there. After awhile, he'd just ignore the couch at night and sleep on the floor at the foot of our bed. We're still working on 5 month old Madison however. But Max was also older when we started letting him sleep inside with us, about 6 years old. He was one VERY pampered dog the last 3 years of his life, but we had also moved to town and it was just easier.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As you say, he was probably allowed up on the couch in his previous home.

Unless you put him in a dog proof room, the only way to stop him when you aren't there is to block it off. I don't like my dogs going on the couch when we aren't in so I put the big cushions down so they can't jump up. This has always worked for us.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Teach and use OFF. Every single time. He should get the message soon enough.....

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I agree that you should use the "off" command- however, it doesn't prevent or teach him to not get on the couch when you are not there.

My parents don't like Mav on the couch, and so when he is with them and they are gone, they put a bar stool across the couch. No access to the couch when they are away + consistent enforcement when they are there= mav not on the couch.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

nu-mum is offline Member

I like the command "off", but i disagree on the crate; reason: the crate should never be used as a bad thing, even though you are only redirecting it is still giving him the signal that the crate isn't great.
    I would keep teaching "off" and much praise when he listens.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think Labs naturally occupy the spaces WE occupy when we are absent from them.

My Puff occupies my driver's seat when I go into a store.

I think dogs "naturally" occupy our spaces when we vacate them.

My Bess always wanted to occupy the sofa on which Char and i usually/often sat.

The ONLY deterrent to that was to place barriers on the couch for when we were gone --
    chairs or aluminum foil (she hated the sound) or boards, etc.

My view is that dogs -- by nature -- move IN to occupy the spaces we leave vacant.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748