Behaving like a complete idiot on walks
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Behaving like a complete idiot on walks

Coles Mom Guest

DefaultBehaving like a complete idiot on walks

*sigh* this is SO embarrassing!

My dog behaves like a complete moron on walks. And he is not a puppy, he is six years old! He gets SO bloody excited. I walk him on a flexi and usually give him a few feet so that he has the ability to sniff as we're walking along. When we get to more open areas I usually let the lead out so that he can run around.

The problem is that he seems to catch scents and sounds and just goes absolutely bonkers. He jumps straight up in the air sometimes, but most of the time he is yip-barking and screaming "YI YI YI YI YI" as though I'm torturing him. It is SO loud. Last night we were about a 1/4 mile behind a couple walking two dogs, and the scent was driving him frickin nuts! The people kept turning around to look at us because he kept shrieking, and I was totally embarrassed. I can't walk him early in the mornings, I worry he'd wake the whole neighborhood!

So I wound up walking him like a nazi without even an inch of room from the lead. Anytime he pulled, leash pop. Any time he tried to cut in front or behind me, leash pop. Any time he barked, leash pop. He settled somewhat, but he basically sucked all the joy out of the walk for me and it's getting to the point where I don't look forward to these battles.

Now the next time I'll take him out, he'll be fine. :

Any advice other than what I chose to do? I got home and Ron said he probably just needs consistent leash discipline. I think he just gets so excited he just doesn't remember how to walk nicely!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Behaving like a complete idiot on walks

I had the same problem with my foster dog. He would go absolutely ballistic when he saw another dog and start barking and throwing a real fit. It was very difficult for me to control him even on a standard choker chain. A few folks here suggested a prong collar for him and it worked wonders. He is truly a different dog on walks now. If you decide to go that route though, I'd suggest that you work with someone who can help you properly fit your dog for it because there is more to it than just sticking it on. Have you done any obedience work with him? If not, I'd do that too because it helps alot. Is he neutered? If not, I'd do that ASAP too.

Coles Mom Guest

We already use a prong, and he's neutered. He's not being aggressive, he's being an excited dolt. I haven't been through any formal obedience classes with him. Some dogs he sees, he pays absolutely no heed to, and he gets big praise for that. Others he just really winds up! It's so weird, and I can't figure a common denominator whether it's a big dog, small dog, female/male...

So you think I just need to be a nazi biatch until he gets the idea? He definitely paid closer attention to me when I shortened the leash and started correcting him for stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

First off - I'd stop using a Flexi....especially while using a prong.

My Max did/sometimes still does that same behavior. He had no leash training as a pup, and by time we got him, he already had some BAD habits. I found the best thing was to get a 2 ft. leash - yes, they make them, and made him walk right next to me. I had the most control and he learned to pay attention to me and not all the things around him that made him nuts. It took 3 years, and he's 95% better.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Is there a girl in heat nearby??

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyLabsMom

My Max did/sometimes still does that same behavior. He had no leash training as a pup, and by time we got him, he already had some BAD habits. I found the best thing was to get a 2 ft. leash - yes, they make them, and made him walk right next to me. I had the most control and he learned to pay attention to me and not all the things around him that made him nuts. It took 3 years, and he's 95% better.
    I use the 2 foot lead and a prong collar for leash training, it works well. I have "pullers" and they forget somtimes, so off go the flat collars and on goes the prong and short lead. If they get overly excited about something I make them sit until I'm satisfied that we can continue on our way. We've had some long walks, time not distance ;D
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLabsMom

I use the 2 foot lead and a prong collar for leash training, it works well. I have "pullers" and they forget somtimes, so off go the flat collars and on goes the prong and short lead. If they get overly excited about something I make them sit until I'm satisfied that we can continue on our way. We've had some long walks, time not distance ;D
    I meant to add that, I too use the prong with the 2' lead - and also make them sit and chill before we continue.
    Brenda from Connecticut

ThatsMyGirl Guest

In addition to the other advice, have you tried really playing with him (retrieves, etc) beforehand? That would probably take the edge off and make for a much more pleasant walk.

Coles Mom Guest

Thanks. I do keep the flexi on the short side when I'm being a nazi - but it's probably 3 feet from handle to neck. (And when I do let it out, I give him the EASY command when he gets toward the end. He's actually pretty good and knows where his limits are with it).

I have been making him sit and shut up when he starts his junk. Gets to the point where I turn and look at him and he just sits down because he knows I'm peeved - but it hasn't stopped him from starting it in the first place.

Dweck - funny you should ask that. The couple that was walking the two dogs ahead of us - one was a GR, one was a Chocolate lab and the choc was a female - I saw her stop to pee a few times and Cole was really taken with that scent. I wonder if she could have been in heat? He's never "bred" before though, so I'm not sure what his deal is. I suppose its a possibility.

What irks me I guess is that I'm walking for MY workout and he is slowing me down because of all these shenanigans. But y'all are right, if I fix it now then I'll have more enjoyable walks down the line.

I still don't think you should use a flexi. Because the flexi work on tension -the dog feels a constant pull from those things. Kinda hard to correct a pull....when that's all they're used to.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast