Chewing up the house and toy destruction?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewing up the house and toy destruction?

Corbell is offline Junior Member

DefaultChewing up the house and toy destruction?

It seems that I'm likely teething again. I'm now 10 and a half months old and besides chewing up my bed, my toys and my bones I like to chew up the family's clothes and even chew the stair railings out of desperation. What more can mom and dad give me to make me feel better so that I can leave the house alone and stop getting into trouble? They've even made me sleep in my crate a few nights when I get like this insted of letting me sleep on my mat outside of the bedrooms -- I'm sad and lonely when I don't get to guard my people.

I can also feel my hunting instinct pretty strong at times. The stuffed toys are all fun and cuddly to mouth and mildly chew for a few weeks but then I just have to hunt down that squeaker inside them and tear it out. Then once it's torn out I shred the rest of the toy. Do you think it would be less tempting if there weren't a squeaker tempting me inside? or do mom and dad just need to be resolved to the fact that I'm a good hunter and will always need new toys time to time.

Mom signed me up for dog obedience classes to start in April and dad will be taking me. I sure hope there's a good teacher and friendly puppies to play with

Corbell

P.S. I think I'm getting better at this behaving around the baby thing. He sure is little and fragile though....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chewing up the house and toy destruction?

Darling Corbel,
    You tell Mum Labs do this. Some grow out of it. Others like me Ernie never do. I am never ever allowed anywhere by myself. I will shred, destroy, and wreck havoc. The devil makes me do it.

My Mum gets toys from the Salvation Army shop for 30c. I have a big basket of arms and legs, and even a few dolls heads. Picking the hair off those is just the best fun. I think that is why I often forget and when i pick at the cushion, or duvet I imagine it to be a wonderful dollies head.

As to beds. Oh man that is the best fun ever. I even ate my $200.oo special one for my hips. Mum makes me a new bed every few weeks and I swear bet to herself how long it will last. She shuts mine in my crate. Sometimes I can pick it through the bars then chew it. Mum gets a bit mad and I have to spend time in there while she eats goodies in the other room. Oh boy is she mean sometimes.

My sister was allowed out to sleep when she was nearly 18months old. She ate three gates. I am 5 and still not responsible.
    I learned to undo the bold on my out door kennel got out and dug up the garden. They put a special bolt on it. I am working on it though. I think when we behave they will trust us.

Maybe you are a little bit too young yet.

Mum says hang in there. It gets better.

Ernie.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

Corbell, you're not teething again you are bored. Ask you parents to give you more exercise and crate you when you can't be supervised. It's for your safety (not ingesting something bad) and their sanity (not having a chewed up house).

Also, you are not a guard dog. Labradors are goofy retrievers, but y'all don't have it in you to guard like per say a German Shepherd or Rottweiler.

Also, tell your parents to not buy you stuffed toys until you mature a little more. Bones and kongs are great instead.

The class will do you good.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Dear Corbell,

You're not teething again, you goof. Your adult teeth came in much earlier. You just need more exercise.

By the way, my mom buys stuffed toys at Goodwill and lets me rip their heads off. It's fun for me and cheap for her.

Love, Gabby
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Dear Corbell,

Buck here! You definitely sound like you need more outdoor play time and romping around with your mum and dad Sorry buddy, but I think you should not be allowed to play with stuffed toys till you mature a bit. That's what mum told me. I am 14 months old and still not allowed stuffed toys. It's so much fun to rip them apart though :-\
    Even though I am very good out of my crate when mum is home and have never touched the furniture or the walls I am still not allowed out of the crate when noone is home. Mum says it's for her peace of mind and my safety.

You will have lots of fun in obedience school! ;D

-Buck
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Tanya is offline Senior Member

You know, the crate isn't a bad place. I like to hang out there on weekends when mom's puttering around the house. She let me out awhile back but I couldn't help myself and searched the kitchen for food or dragged the garbage on the couch. I thought she would appreciate that, she always says she wants to loose more weight - here I was helping her out by eating before she could!

Sounds like you need more exercise. Mom brings me jogging 5 times a week on top of our walks. Weekends are for loooong walks and park time so I can run around like a total goof. I'm a tad lazy so this is MORE than enough to keep me passed out on the couch.

Obedience was alot of fun. You gets treats and meet lots of friends. It keeps my brain going to!

PS - mom says if I chew my beds/toys I don't get anymore. Either I show respect or I loose it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Hey there, Apollo here. I like to chew stuff up just like you!!! I am 1 year old. Look what I did to my mommy and daddy's door frame in the laundry room! (BTW they rent)

Yeah. Chewing is an art form for me! The nice people on this forum told my mommy and daddy the same thing they are telling you. More exercise, more toys, and crate time when unsupervised. When mommy puts me in my hallway (waiting for our crate to arrive) she gives me yummy kongs with frozen beef broth and kibble inside and peanut butter plugging up the holes! She also makes sure to take me out a ton and gets me really tired out. Sometimes I still make mistakes, like the time I chewed up my mommy's glasses when she was sleeping, but that is why my mommy puts me in the hallway (my version of the crate, as we are still waiting for a friend to give us one) whenever she cannot watch me.

If you have a crate, its really a nice place. Maybe your mommy and daddy could put some t-shirts that they have worn in there with you so that it smells like them. Just a thought. Good luck at obedience classes.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Corbell is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Corbell, you're not teething again you are bored. Ask you parents to give you more exercise and crate you when you can't be supervised. It's for your safety (not ingesting something bad) and their sanity (not having a chewed up house).

Also, you are not a guard dog. Labradors are goofy retrievers, but y'all don't have it in you to guard like per say a German Shepherd or Rottweiler.

Also, tell your parents to not buy you stuffed toys until you mature a little more. Bones and kongs are great instead.

The class will do you good.
    Thanks everybody for the advice. Now that the weather is warmer mom is taking me out more often with the baby. I really wish she'd let me pull the carriage around more -- I'm not fond of this 'heel' thing she keeps insisting I do. Dad knows he should be taking me out more often but at least he plays fetch with me in the backyard and gives me some short walks.

BTW, I am TOO a guard dog. You should hear me bark when anyone gets near my people. I even snarl really well if they approach the kids. I'm way more effective than a silly alarm system would be. Did you know those things don't go off until someone actually tries to break in -- I bark when a stranger is just considering walking up the front steps or entering my backyard!

Wow... so y'all think I shouldn't have stuffed toys yet. But I SOOOO love them and they usually last a month or more. Maybe mom won't read your posts... <hope.. hope..>

Enjoy the spring weather buddies -- I am!

Corbell

P.S. I do have a crate but I far prefer hanging out with my people when they're home and I really enjoy sleeping in the hallway listening to the kids breathing at night more than being in my crate. I relax all night without so much as a whimper when I'm in the hallway and I just can't get comfortable in my crate alone downstairs at night when I know my kids are sleeping upstairs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corbell
    I do have a crate but I far prefer hanging out with my people when they're home and I really enjoy sleeping in the hallway listening to the kids breathing at night more than being in my crate. I relax all night without so much as a whimper when I'm in the hallway and I just can't get comfortable in my crate alone downstairs at night when I know my kids are sleeping upstairs.
    Corbell, if your parents enjoy a chewed up house then they should continue to allow you to sleep where ever the heck you want.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" --
    Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad
    Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own
    Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Also, read this thread for good ideas:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,39560.0.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast