Head Collars?

Thread: Head Collars?

Chrissy is offline Member

DefaultHead Collars?

Anyone try the Gentle Leader or Halti? Opinions or advice on Head Collars?
    My pup is only 9 weeks but a lady with an older Lab said she liked this type of collar.
    <br />Belle at 4 months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Head Collars?

I am interested to hear.. am thinking about getting one for Mar as well..

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

We adopted a 2 YO female from our local lab rescue who had absolutely no leash manners whatsoever. We started using the gentle leader head collar and it was like night and day. Yes, she hates wearing but has gotten used to it. For us, we are very happy with it and it has allowed us to walk and be in public without her acting like a complete maniac. It has been several months now and we are slowly trying to wean her off of it.

There is a big difference between a 9 week old puppy who hasn't learned leash manners and a full grown lab without leash manners. I think if I had a puppy, I would really try to work with a regular collar and leash. If you spend the time now training her while she is little, you won't have to worry about a full grown pulling you around the block.

There have been several past threads on this subject that may offer you alot more experience. Try a search here and in the Lab Chat section. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

littlelola is offline Junior Member

we have the GL it works great but the thing i hate is the clip at the bottom always come loose and the loop goes up on the eyes. i had the haltti but i lost it. but if you get the GL i thing you should clip it on the regular collar to i seen pictures of that maybe that might help the clip from unclipping.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you work on never, ever allowing her to pull now, you won't need any management tools later on. BUT if you are having difficulty, I recommend the front clip harnesses (Sens-ation/Sens-ible or Easy Walk harnesses) rather than the head halters.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I prefer teaching the dog not to pull. I realize G/L-Halti fans are out there. I'm just not among them......

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I prefer the Gentle Leader "Easy Walk" -- and so does Puff.

See:
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,38619.0.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mich is offline Senior Member

I got one for Rocket, but I don't like it.

He isn't "himself" with it on. He is too paranoid and reminds me of a horse that is skittish when he has it on. I was paranoid that if he saw something he was interested in and decided to pull me that he'd get hurt.

After walking with him twice with it, I went back to the chain choker and continued with my corrections when he would get to "excited".

I had him neutered about 5 wks ago, and whether it was the surgery or maturity, or both, I don't know, but he's been better on our walks now for the past month. He's 9 1/2 mo.

&lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!