Enrolling in Puppy Kindergarten

Thread: Enrolling in Puppy Kindergarten

DefaultEnrolling in Puppy Kindergarten

Sadie is 16 weeks old. The vet recommended we spay her on the 27th of this month so that she can start start her puppy kindegarten classes on time and not have to miss any. The classes start on April 12, my question is, what can I expect? Will it just be socializing or will it be teaching them not to pull on a leash, or how to teach them not to jump, etc. I am going to a place in the country that offers this with two very experienced teachers. Did you find that it was helpful to take your pups to this class?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Enrolling in Puppy Kindergarten

Puppy school is great for the pups! She'll ge to socialized with the other babies and also learn to listen to you around distractions. You'll both enjoy it

If she was my puppy, I would wait until after the class to spay her...4 months is way too early.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

i agree, puppy classes are great! it was a wonderful way for our puppy to get impt socialization to not only other dogs, and differ

our class had about 8 puppies total and met 1 hr a week for 8 weeks. the trainers will actually be training YOU to train your dog. each week we would learn a new command and be instructed to practice during the week adding in distractions as needed etc. the following week we'd review that command and then learn something new. it was all basic stuff (attention, sit, down, stay, walk nice on a lead, general grooming care etc) and great for a new dog owner and even as a refresher course if you haven't had a puppy in awhile. our class also had two "play times" scheduled in the hour where the puppies could be puppies and play for a few minutes.

i've had three dogs and know how to teach basic commands etc, but i will still take all of my future dogs to puppy k b/c the socialization aspect is great.

good luck and have fun!
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My vet told me that once a pup hits 40lbs then they start to develop their sexual traits and she can start to go into heat from there. He doesn't want her to go into heat before we spay her. I was questionable about spaying her too early but she is already 32lbs and he is a very respected vet, I am sure he knows way more then me.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I would talk to your breeder before you decide anything. I've never heard of a "40 lb rule"...my girls came into season for the first time at 9 months and 12 months.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

What are the negative aspects of spaying too early?