4.5 month old puppy w/ swollen joints in front legs

Thread: 4.5 month old puppy w/ swollen joints in front legs

Mackadew is offline Junior Member

Default4.5 month old puppy w/ swollen joints in front legs

I am back with another question about my puppy Guinness. He has had a tough time over the past month-month and a half. He had to be put on antibiotics for an infection that was causing him to throw up his food. Also, the vet put him on a gastro-enteric food. He didn't lose alot of weight during this but, did not gain any either. He currently weighs only 28.5 lbs. My concern is if he will eventually 'catch up' to his old growth pattern and eventually get to the vet's estimated 100 lbs. He has switched back to his normal food now and is eating about the same as before. Sorry for the off topic comments here but, I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this.

Back on topic, Guinness has been getting taller and starting to gain a little of his weight back. My wife and I have noticed his joints on his front legs have become very large. They kinda look like the joint is swollen in a ball shape above his paw. I have touched these spots and even gave them a little squeeze but, they don't seem to bother him except after he has been lying down for a while and stands up. Is this normal for a growing pup to have the joint increase in size before the rest of his legs and will he 'grow' into the size of the joint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 4.5 month old puppy w/ swollen joints in front legs

I am not really sure. I am sure someone here will be more knowledgeable.
    Do you have him on a Large Breed Puppy Food??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

He is on a Large breed puppy food(ProPlan). The stuff the vet put him on when he was being treated was Purina EN so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I'd take him to a vet and find out what's going on.Consult an ortho. vet if you must. I don't think it's normal for joints to swell up during growth.

Puppies grow at different rates just like human children. At 4.5 months Buck weighed 40lbs and his lab friend of the same age was around 30lbs. Now both are at 13 months and pretty much weigh the same.
    Unless you know how big your puppy's parents are you really can't accurately predict how much he will weigh as an adult. At the rate Buck was growing one would have thought he'd be over 90lbs right now. But he is only 70lbs and is leveling off there.

Anyways...sorry got kinda side tracked...If I were you I'd take him to a vet immediately and find out what's going on with those joints.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Yeah, it's hard to say not really being able to see him. It's normal for growing puppies to have periods when they are out of proportion and awkward and paws are often quite noticeable. The fact that they bother him when he gets up after lying down for a long time concerns me, though. That sounds unusual for a young puppy.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm admittedly far from an expert, but I would haul the puppy into the vet. That does not sound normal to me.

Doesn't HOD cause swollen joints?

Thanks for the responses. What's HOD?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackadew
    Thanks for the responses. What's HOD?
    Please take this with a grain of salt. I'm no vet. But I can say this ... if it were my dog I would do three things: First, I would contact my breeder (assuming you got your dog from a reputable breeder) and try to get some insight. Second, I would make a vet appointment -- preferably w/ a full work up and x-rays. Third, I would probably go to an Ortho Vet for an evaluation.

HOD is Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy, but I do believe it presents itself as lameness, along with joint swelling and fever. I think some dogs can also get joint swelling from vaccines. And of course, some tick-borne diseases (such as Lyme) cause joint swelling too. Bottom line -- it's not normal & a trip to the vet is in order.

Thank you.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackadew
    Thank you.
    Hope you are able to get to the bottom of it quickly! Let us know what you find out.