Being Left Home Alone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Left Home Alone

ZoeysDad is offline Member

DefaultBeing Left Home Alone

I am not sure if you could consider if my puppy is a puppy any more since she is 14 months old but I thought I would post her. When is it a good time to start practicing leaving my puppy home alone without locking her crate? I am sure this is going to be all over the board but looking for the average time to start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Being Left Home Alone

She probably won't be ready for at least another year. And then you want to start slow - start with five minutes and see what she does. If she's good for a few days of that, up it to 10 minutes, etc. If she does something bad, she's not ready yet. You never want to give free reign right away.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

all dogs are different. you may want to try but set up a successful area, meaning puppy proof and remove anything you do'nt want chewed up or that could be dangerous. Try it for like 15mins and see what happens. Then you can try for longer.

Some dogs do well from a very young age while others are never able to be left uncrated.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Some dogs are lifers and will always need to be crated but others can be trusted at young at 7-8 months. I would say if they are pretty good when your home about not getting into things I would start leaving them out at night in your bedroom with the door closed. After a few weeks then start just a few minutes during the day and increase the time according to their behavior. If they get into something back in the crate for a month or two then try again.

Mocha had free reign by 1 year but did had a relapse at about 18 months but after a few weeks she was out again and we haven't had any other incidence in the last year.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I've started leaving Miles gated in the family room. I started with 20 minutes and gradually built from there. When I first started, I made sure he was tired on the days we tried. Set him up for success, I say! He's been doing well, but he's a very mellow dog. I do know, some are lifers.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I think it depends on the dog. Sami isn't crated at night, and I don't crate her if I'm going to be gone for an hour or so. But anything longer than that and I do. She would probably be fine, but for me, it's peace of mind. I do make sure that all doors are shut, the pantry is closed, etc. She is very well behaved and has never really chewed anything she wasn't supposed to. Sami is almost 22 months and I've been doing this for at least 6 months or more. I would say, start small. Leave her alone for 15 minutes and gradually build up.

Oh, and FWIW, I'd make sure that your dog was well-exercised before you gave it a shot.

One last thing -- if it's just that you want your dog to have more room, you could try using an x-pen attached to the crate. That's what I do if I'm going to be gone for several hours. That way she can move around and use her crate if she wants to ... but she's not confined to it. This has been a great solution for us.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I didn't start til @ 3 - and even then, with a very good dog (debatable at some points) there were/are random "incidents" that resulted in shredded books or trash occasionally...maybe 1x every 6 months at max...

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

I think you're right, it'll be all over with different ages. I think this discussion came up recently, and a lot depends on the individual dog.

I started about 7 mos. old, leaving him alone in the house for 15 min., 30 min., then longer. He was fine and didn't bother anything. By 9 mos., I put the crate away.

How is your dog when you're home....into things, has to be watched a lot? Or doesn't bother things...those could give you clues if you're ready to start.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

nu-mum is offline Member

We must be lucky. We just adopted Amber and she's 3 yrs old. Crate trained. We let her out of her crate at night and she's great. We leave her out of her crate if we're gone an hour or so (same as above) and she's good. We're working on things like pulling on the leash and jumping. Also, i am trying to train her not to whine at me when she wants something. She's quite good though.

imported_merlin is offline Senior Member

Merlin has never been crated. He now has the run of the house, and backyard while I am at work, and he has never destroyed anything.
    <br />[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=515&amp;i=mg7637smallna4.jpg]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast