Help! Crate Training Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Crate Training Questions

jpdionne is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Crate Training Questions

This is in regards to the two pups, Madison and Cheyenne and crate training. We brought them home Saturday and on Sunday we got crates for the each of them. That night they whined and barked and moaned (lol) quite a bit that we had to move them to the far end of the house. In the morning I found pee and poop in both crates. No biggie, I cleaned them up and Clorox bleached them and went about the day. I had to leave the house briefly so I put them in the crates again. More whining, barking and moaning. Last night, took them outside for potty at around 10pm, and put them in their crates and went to bed. Again more whining, barking and moaning ... and I heard them a few times throughout the night. Got up this am around six and let them out, took them outside immediately and they both eventually did their business. More pee and poop in the crates from the night, and again no biggie I just cleaned and bleached. Today I had to run to the grocery store and was gone about 45 minutes or so. Took them outside before I left, both at least went pee, and put them in their crates. More whining, barking and moaning (lol). And when I returned home each of them had pooped. This time they both needed a bath because they had some on them.

My questions are: How long can I expect them to whine and carry on each time they get in their crate? Should I be putting them in more often during the day even if I'm home and able to keep an eye on them when they are up and around? I guess if I did, I'd put them where they could see me, correct? I know the pottying in the crates is going to take time, but I thought they usually will not potty where they sleep? Even in the daytime for those short periods of time? I give them toys to play with, and either a blanket or a bedding of some sort, but I end up having to wash both the toys and bedding each time, which really isn't a big deal either, but is there something else I can do for them while they are in there? Or will I just have to tough it out for a bit longer until they get used to it? I did figure it would take longer than just two days, but I'm just curious if there is something else I can do or am I doing something wrong, etc?

Thanks all!!!
    Madison and Cheyenne's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deific Guest

DefaultRe: Help! Crate Training Questions

It sounds like you need to take the pups out to the bathroom more often. You said that you left them in the crate at night from 10-6 thats 8 hours they are in there without going to the bathroom. They can hold it longer as they get older but they say that they can hold it an hour for each month they are old + 1hr. I would think if they are puppies you would have to get up in the middle of the night to take them out. Sounds like they don't have a choice if they want to go in their bed or not.

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

How big of a crate did you get them? Right now, they should only have enough room to stand, turn around, and lay down. Any more room and they will potty in one corner and sleep in another.

And yes, they should be taken out more. Can they see each other in their crates?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I didn't say the pooping and peeing at night was a problem with me, and I don't expect them to be able to hold it that long. My main concern was with all the noise they make while in their crate. They are outside every few hours during the day, and my one question with the pottying was in regards to the daytime, when I go to the store or something and come back after 30-45 minutes and they have messed in their crates, and yes they get outside before they are put in the crates.

Thanks for the reply!!

They are in the smallest crate they had at the store, the ones for a small breed pet. Yes they can see each other

deific Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    How big of a crate did you get them? Right now, they should only have enough room to stand, turn around, and lay down. Any more room and they will potty in one corner and sleep in another.

And yes, they should be taken out more. Can they see each other in their crates?
    Good suggestion, maybe they have too much room in the crate. How big are the crates do they have their own sides?

When they are moaning and hollering, don't reinforce it. Just ignore it. Eventually they will figure out that crate time is sleepy time.

Did it come with a divider to make the crate smaller?

Oh, and remember, you will have to get bigger crates as they get older which will get pretty expensive. I would go ahead and invest in a larger crate to accomodate the pup when it is full grown. I did and I am very glad of it.

They have their own crates, that was what was suggested. The crates do have a divider, should I try one night putting them both in one with the divider? Think that would work since they would be closer to each other?????

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    When they are moaning and hollering, don't reinforce it. Just ignore it. Eventually they will figure out that crate time is sleepy time.

Did it come with a divider to make the crate smaller?

Oh, and remember, you will have to get bigger crates as they get older which will get pretty expensive. I would go ahead and invest in a larger crate to accomodate the pup when it is full grown. I did and I am very glad of it.
    I figured that they would calm down eventually. Do you suggest crating them for a few minutes throughout the day to help them get used to it, or only worry about it when I have to leave and at night?

Right now, because we had to get two crates, we went with the smaller ones due to finances. By the time they are bigger I plan to have purchased the bigger crates, as I'll have to do it one at a time. If we only had one pup, we probably would have spent the money on the bigger one up front, know what I mean?

Thanks!!!

Right. Two crates are good. Side by side.

About the divider, it is to make the pups area smaller so that it can't potty and sleep at the same time.

How old are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast