Pulling Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Advice

LuvMyLabs2 is offline Member

DefaultPulling Advice

Could use some advice. Chloe is a big puller. We have tried numerous things. We want to take her to classes, but before we do that we need to get her more used to walking on the floors at the pet store. (we are planning on going through Pets Mart) She pulls to the point where the leash leaves a burn on my wrist.

We have tried a gentle leader (she does well, but will roll around on the ground and claw at her face every 5 minutes or so.)

We bought an Easy Walker Harness, but the medium was to small and the large was to big so we had to return it.

We have tried no pull, yes easy, no pull, yes easy until our voices were hoarse.

Any suggestions until we can get her to class? I am not really interested in prong, choke or anything like that...

<br />*Chloe and Dakota*<br /><br /><br /><br />-Janette-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pulling Advice

if you go on to the Premier website, there are intermediary sizes of the easy walk harness, that would probably do the trick for you.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This is what I did with kassa and now Ernie.

When the dog pulls turn the other way. Keep changing direction so the dog doesn't know where you are going. It looks weird, but has worked for us.

I also use a halti. We do the halti waltz. Erns rubs his head on my leg, I throw my leg out and giggle, we walk a few steps, he rubs, etc. He settles down.

Kassa used to rub her face on the grass.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd recommend the prong personally.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

kk4389 is offline Member

Dani, Could you please briefly describe the prong for me? I also am having trouble with my puppies pulling me. Right now all I have are the body harnesses and they are not doing the trick.
    Thanks!

Mybabymambo Guest

The prong is the best thing I have used. Without Mambo pulls to the point my hands turn purple trying to hold leash. As soon as I put the prong on he is an angel. I could walk him with one finger if I had to.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

How old is she? If she's at least 6 months the prong collar would be fine. I used one with Mocha and it worked great and she loved it. A lot of people say they are mean but I promise they are better than letting them choke on a flat collar or choaker because it spreads the pressure out more eaven and it prevents them from pulling. It's a training tool though and you must learn to use it properly and fit it properly for it to work and not be harmful.

That being said I had tried the Easy Walk Harness and had the same problem you had the Lg was too big and the Med too small I found a Md/Lg one at sitstay.com a few weeks ago. It fits perfect and it came in purple so it matches her other collar and leash. It was also cheaper than I found it in the stores around here even after shipping. Here is the link it's about half way down the page. I had it within a few days and I love it.
    http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/collars2.shtml

The class will definatley help too I took Mocha through a PetSmart class it was alright a lot of it depends on the trainer. They will push you to use the GL though so you may want to go with the EW harness over the prong just to avoid the flack. Good luck. Practice and persistance makes perfect
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Check the Our Best Advice sticky for tutorial(s) on safe and effective use of the Prong......

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

If you want to keep trying with the harness that is big...clip the leash to the harness and the collar. This will keep it from sliding down.

Prong collar works great as long as you know how to use it properly. Otherwise, I have seen some dogs pull even with a prong on and that I can not imagine being good at all...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

LuvMyLabs2 is offline Member

thanks for everyones ideas. I actually found an easy walk harness that fits, and works, and she doesn't mind it at all! It really has helped, and I found it on sale for $15. It is the best $15 I ever spent!
    <br />*Chloe and Dakota*<br /><br /><br /><br />-Janette-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast