Arrrrrggghhhh.......Help

Thread: Arrrrrggghhhh.......Help

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultArrrrrggghhhh.......Help

This is actually a question regarding a PERSON instead of a DOG. How would you handle this: My husband has a friend that comes over a LOT. (That is a whole other issue). He's okay I suppose, but certainly not my favorite person. Anyway, we have had our little pup now for about a month and a half. I am VERY careful about NOT overfeeding her, and really watching the amount of treats she gets. My husband has been surprisingly cooperative, which I am really happy about. This friend was over last night and we were all in the kitchen hanging out with the pup, etc. He then proceeds to get the bag of biscuits on top of the fridge and offer our puppy one. He never asked us if it was okay, just went ahead and did it. This is not the first time he has done this. I was waiting to see if my husband would say something. Nothing. So I let it go, for now. Then, a little while later, "friend" gets the bag of treats and before he could get one out I said, "No more treats!" And my husband echoed my words. What does "friend" do? He gives her the biscuit! I know, I know. I HAVE to say something. It is up to me to correct the situation. I was hoping my husband would say something to his friend, because whenever there is a sticky situation, it is usually me that has to be the "bad guy". But now I don't care if I look like the bad guy, because it is my puppy's health and care that matters to me more than possibly offending this guy. It just really bugs me that he doesn't even think to ask if it's okay to give her a treat! I work with her a lot during the day to teach and train her, and a lot of the time (not always) I use treats. So by the end of the day, I know how many she has had, and try not to give her any more. I guess I just have to say something to him, but not sure how. I think, also, that I am going to hide ALL of the treats from now on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Arrrrrggghhhh.......Help

Two extra biscuits won't do puppy any harm, and I wouldn't lecture your friend just yet. Just hide the treats as you planned, or keep the puppy out of the kitchen. If he makes moves towards giving her food, ask him to give her kibble instead, or make it a training exercise for her.

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

I would actually be a bit annoyed with the friend as well. I have been in a bit of a similar situation but I won't hijack your thread.
    I would put the treats somewhere that the friend does not see them or have access to them while he is at your house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. I AM annoyed. There are other issues concerning this guy (can you tell??) but that's a whole other ball of wax. Part of what I don't like about him just taking it upon himself to give her a treat is that I use them for when we are training, not just for the heck of it. I don't want her to think she can get a treat just for being so cute. And yes, 2 extra treats won't make her overweight, but it's the way this guy doesn't seem to have respect for my things, my life, my marriage, my home, and now my dog. Wouldn't you ask the dog's owner or the kid's parent before giving it a treat or cookie? I know I would. Definetly am going to hide the biscuits.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It sounds like your husband's friend is just a bit (or more) lacking in the social sense, social skill, and empathy departments.

You might ask your husband to talk with him and let him know that if he will not respect your (and his) wishes that the "friend" NOT do something (like give a treat to the dog), then the friend can no longer visit your home.

My hunch is that this episode is a preview of coming missteps by this same person.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bob Pr. you are right on the money. Not much social sense whatsoever with this guy. Last night's episode STARTED OUT with him showing up at our door, no call or anything to see if it was okay, at 8:30pm on a Sunday night. My husband and I get up very early on weekdays and I was less than pleased. Yeah, this is something that I have had to deal with for a long time, too long. But that is for another forum, I'll try to stick with the dog issues in here. Anyway, thanks for your response! I'll just do my best and try to deal with it in a tactful and sensitive way so as not to offend anyone.