Advice on TWO pups

Thread: Advice on TWO pups

jpdionne is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdvice on TWO pups

Yesterday, we brought home Madison and Cheyenne who are 8 week old black labs. We have read on here that crate training is the way to go and we would like to know your thoughts on if we should get separate crates for them or would it be better to keep them together? Last night Madison decided to start whining, when we put them in the kitchen (gated off with baby gates), any advise on that as well? She will probably do the same thing in a crate, correct?

Thanks for any advise!!!
    Madison and Cheyenne's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice on TWO pups

Two crates!!

I would sleep in the same room with them in their crates for awhile. It is a strange new environment for them and they are just babies.

I slept beside Rowan for about 3 weeks although I am sure I didn't need to that long ~ she never whined in her crate... but I was always beside her when she woke up... maybe the constant reassurance was the key. Associate the crate with a good place to be ~ I give Rowan treats inside hers.

Good luck.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Wow -- two pups? you are brave. Most people would advise against that but what's done is done.

They should always be crated seperately. It is important that you spend lots of time with them indiviually as they will become insperaple if together 24/7.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's what we figured would be the answer. Yes, two pups..... we got two because hubby drives truck and once Madison is trained he will be taking her with him on the road.

Thanks for the replies! Any more advise????
    Madison and Cheyenne's Mom

Trickster is offline Senior Member

For general advice, see the 'Our Best Advice' thread. Fantastic information about just about everything on there. If that doesn't cover anything you want answered, fire away.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpdionne
    That's what we figured would be the answer. Yes, two pups..... we got two because hubby drives truck and once Madison is trained he will be taking her with him on the road.

Thanks for the replies! Any more advise????
    We have littermates and there are some challenges. I recommend training each pup separately for basic commands,sit,stay,come etc. Most important is individual attention.They need to bond with you more than with each other. This might not be the best choice of words,but I don't know the best way to describe it. Individual training allows each dog to progress at their own pace and they can "connect"with you.

I have had many labs in my lifetime and training two pups at the same time was/is my biggest challenge. It is not too difficult, it just requires three times the patience and time.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

3labhousehold is offline Member

This post caught my eye because I too, chose to bring 2 pups home almost 2 years ago now. Little yellow lab sisters. I wasn't sure what I was in for, but looking back now I wouldn't have done anything any different.

As for the question about crates.......I only used 1 (largest size) and it worked out wonderfully for them. As soon as I brought them home, the crate was open with their blankets inside and some chew toys. They both wondered in on their own together, and that was it, that was "their space" the door was kept open unless we were leaving the house.

At night for the 1st night, there was a bit of whining, and as stated in a previous post, I spent the night on the futon beside them. Did this for 3 nights, and that's all it took. They kept each other company as well.

When training for commands, I did train them separately though, because all dogs learn at their own pace.
    When I would work with 1, the other would be playing with the kids inside, or out going for a walk in the bush with them.

Good luck!

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

You've received great advice. My only addition is that if you are going to crate train them (which I agree is best) you need to let them whine. Do not let them out when they are whining or they will continue to do so longer next time because it got them what they wanted last time. I would use seperate crates. I know it's hard the first few nights but if you let them whine (unless they need to go out) they will quiet down faster the next time and should quit all together shortly thereafter. I would set you alarm mid night and let them out once then straight back in the crate don't let them play or they will expect that.

Basically don't let them do anything now that you don't want them to continue doing when they are 70 lbs each...
    Good luck
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Thanks for all the wonderful advise! We did go out and get two crates for them and they did whine last night. We tried to start them out on in each boys bedroom (in their crate) but that didn't work and we moved them to a part of the house away from the bedrooms (kids needed to get sleep for school). I'm not sure how long they whined, hopefully it will be less tonight. As far as house training, today was a great day. I'm able to be at home with them during the day so they are not alone and we have a 1/4 acre of land completely fenced, so I take them out every few hours. Madison seems to definitely be getting the hang of things, Cheyenne is a little slower but she seems more mellow than Madison, who is very rambunctious! Funny how quickly we can pick out their personalities!

I'll get the digital camera out and get pictures if I can tomorrow. Then I'll have to figure out how to resize them and post here!

Thanks again!
    Madison and Cheyenne&#039;s Mom

kk4389 is offline Member

Hello. I also have 2 puppies (littermates). They are now 6 months old. My experience has definitely been VERY challenging, but also EXTREMELY rewarding. It IS twice the work, if not more....but well worth it!
    I crated them seperately from the start. I would reward them with a treat each time they went in their crates...after a couple of weeks, when I would say "Downstairs" one of them would automatically go down and into his crate and sit and wait for a treat. They are SO SMART!!!
    Now both of them know to go right in and actually LOVE having their own little space. It's like their den.
    My puppies NEVER had an accident in their crates even from the very beginning.
    ***ONE REALLY IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE IS TO BLOCK OFF THEIR CRATE SPACE SO THEY ONLY HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO SLEEP AND TURN AROUND. If you give them too much space, they will go to the bathroom on one side and sleep on the other. DOGS INSTINCTUALLY WILL NOT GO TO THE BATHROOM WHERE THEY SLEEP.
    Good luck to you and your new babies!!! Just remember to be patient and try to remain calm....they sense when you are upset.
    They are so much fun!