Potty questions

Thread: Potty questions

kimmibear is offline Junior Member

DefaultPotty questions

My new lab puppy, Linus, is well on his way training. I've read quite a bit about potty/poopy training as this is one of our ongoing issues. He is only 10 weeks old right now, so I'm assuming it'll get better... We take him outside (on a leash) every 30-60 minutes, take him to the same spot every time, give him the "POTTY" command, praise him when he starts to go, make a big fuss when he's done, and reward him with a piece of a holistic doggy treat (which he loves) - but then, he'll come back in and go 15 minutes later on the floor. Or, he'll come back in and poop. Sometimes we're outside with him for 15-20 minutes trying to get him to "empty" everything, but he'll still come back in to go... getting him to poop outside has been especially challenging - he does it occasionally, and we do the same "flips and wheelies" when he does, but then sometimes he'll come back in and poop on the floor. So, my questions are, 1.) Is going potty every 20 minutes normal? (sometimes it's just a tablespoon's worth, other times a little more) 2.) Is not completely emptying his bladder or bowels normal? 3.) Does he need to be checked for a bladder infection? 4.) Is this a matter of will? 5.) Is this a matter of a young bladder? 6.) Is it just a matter of TIME and CONTINUED TRAINING? Any advice any of you can give would be GREATLY appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jenica is offline Senior Member

This sounds a little too frequent, from what I have seen so far. Did you get him checked out by a vet when he came home? I would try to rule out that he has anything like worms, coccidia, etc. going on. If the vet gives the all clear, clean with nature's miracle or a similar cleaner everywhere he has gone inside, as the smell will attract him to go there again. Then continue with the training you are already doing. Good luck!

bnstrong is offline Junior Member

Giving a treat every 30 to 60 minutes means he'll have to poop every 30 to 60 minutes. The tablespoon size sounds about right for the treats you are giving. Reward him with play time when he eliminates promptly. Throw a ball for him or give him a favorite chew toy as a reward instead of food treats. I also recommend crate training. It is nearly miraculous.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kimmibear is offline Junior Member

Defaultpotty questions

Thanks very much for your replies - he HAS been dewormed and had his second set of shots so far, but not specifically checked for UTI... guess I should do that just to be on the super super safe side...

And you may be right about the treats - although we are just breaking off about the size of an m&m (although it's homemade holistic doggy biscuits) unless he goes poop, then he gets a piece about the size of a quarter.

Crating is something we are just learning works well. We have another older dog at home (Lab mix named Lucy) who ISN'T crated, but we found, just last night, that as long as we're in the room with Linus, he's just fine in his crate...
    Last edited by kimmibear; 05-27-2009 at 04:26 PM.

bnstrong is offline Junior Member

When we crate trained our male Lab, he started crying the first night. We had placed his crate where we wanted it. Knowing he was scared, we moved the crate into our room where he could see us. He never made a peep the rest of the night. We gradually moved his crate out side our room and then to where we wanted over about ten days. He never cried during the process. He was reluctant to go in his crate at first until we read that we should feed him in it. The first night after we fed him in it, we said "bedtime," and he ran and dove into it. When he got too big for his puppy crate, we transitioned to the short chain method in the kitchen. It was a very natural transition for him. You can use the crate for daytime training too. After he goes out and eliminates quickly, play with him, love up on him, and then take him back inside. Give him a chew toy and give him his freedom for about 30 minutes, then crate him until his next trip outside and repeat. Lengthen the time between trips outside as he is able. Feed him in his crate, and he will love it.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Just a thought, your doggy treat may be a bit much for your puppies tummy? Try giving him a piece of kibble instead. Take out some of his dinner rations and use it for treats and potty time. It may make a difference.... I agree also with above that you have to clean the areas with the correct product to eliminate any lingering odours that scream out to your puppy "It's WONDERFUL to potty here!!!!!!!"

Also, when you take puppy outside for potty don't pay attention, don't make eye contact and don't speak until he starts to eliminate. Be really boring so he knows he's out there to go.

I also agree that crate training is wonderful. If you find your puppy is still going then take him out every 20 minutes. Set yourself an alarm...... the more frequent you take him out and the less he goes inside the quicker he'll learn.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia