When will the biting stop?

Thread: When will the biting stop?

DefaultWhen will the biting stop?

I have a 16 week old lab puppy. He has been a perfect but except for the biting. It seems like all he wants to do is bite and chew on myself and my wife. He is good about stopping when we tell him too but within a few more seconds he starts biting again. Even if we give him a toy he will keep the toy in his mouth and still try to bite use. I was just wonder at what age do most labs stop the biting. I think that it is starting to slow down. Just trying to get an idea when we might be able to expect the biting the stop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When will the biting stop?

It depends

A lot of it depends on how consistent you are with training (no bite, ignoring them when they do bite, etc) and redirecting that energy. Read the best advice sticky at the top of the page.

Then a good portion depends on the puppy. Maverick (my 7 year old) never bit- he's a weird Lab. Gabby bit for two or three weeks and then redirected her energy to toys (I'd rater have headless stuffed animals than bruised and broken hands!)

Hello i too think it depends, what you really want your pup to learn is bite inhibition so that instead of a hard bite they learn mouthing, mouthing is good because the pup realizes at that point that biting hurts. Be consistent, i said ouch and/or no bite in a deep loudish voice alot, my pup now will put a toe or hand in his mouth but he won't bite hard (usually lol). Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

He's going to start teething soon...so it's going to get bad again for awhile.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I just noticed this afternoon his front tooth is falling out. The biting is not really hard its just the sharp baby teeth thats the problem. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will end.

He's teething now so it will be worse for a while. Try to get an old washcloth make it wet wring it out and let it twisted and put it in the freezer. When it's frozen give it to him to chew on or put some yogurt or Peanut butter in a kong and freeze it. The cold will feel good on his gums and give him something other than you to chew on.

Consistancy is key in getting them to stop biting make sure you are both correcting every time. Ignoring them works wonder too give the correction then walk away and ignore for 30 seconds to a minute or until he's calm.