Just Labradors banner

Help with training Toby...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hiyaall 
#1 ·
yay.. First post in the training section!

Anyways, I am having a hell of a time with recall with Toby. He's 3 years old and I guess he is set in his ways. He was never taken to obedience classes, wasn't really taken on walks and just doesn't listen. :(

I've had him with me for a few weeks now and he at least can walk nicely on a leash now and we're working on recall.

He books it on me every time I let him off leash and that's the one I need help with.

I've walked with him on a short leash and every few feet we'll stop and I'll call him to me and gently pull on the leash if he doesn't respond. Praise and treat. Repeat 100x.

We then tried the 30 ft leash, same drill. He sometimes will come back. Most of the time he'd rather go stand over there sniffing the ground.

So I've tried training him with Abbey around, without Abbey around, with a leash, without a leash, with treats, without treats and I still can't get him to come back.

Any ideas/help? I need it!

See less See more
#2 ·
When I am in obed. class with Shane I don't feed him before class, that way whatever treats I'm using are even more appealing. I would change often what treats you use. Shane loves cheese, so I dice up the sticks of string cheese. He knows if it's cheese, he'll need to work for it. Maybe try hot dogs. And I would only give the treat if you get the desired response from him. He's not a puppy anymore and should know you mean business.

Also, I wouldn't do off leash unless he's really obeying you. Use the 30 ft leash.

I hope this helps.:)

#4 ·
Keep him on the long line, and do exactly what you do when he's on the shorter one. :) If he doesn't come back when you call him, give him a gentle tug to encourage him. Or turn around and start going in the other direction (run if you have to). Make sure to treat him when he gets to you. :) If he comes right away, treat and have a party! ("Atta boy, Toby", "Yay!", etc) Something else you can do is play games in the house or yard (we call them "Puppy Recalls") Randomly call his name and when he comes to you, give him a small treat/reward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.