Just Labradors banner

Hi! New Lab owner looking for some help

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  imported_111@@@ 
#1 ·
hi all lab lovers, I've had my cream colored yellow lab "Chase" for a week now, he's doing very well with the concept of doing his business outside, id say around 85-90%. The only problem is at night! he sleeps on my bed and has accidents it seems like every other night. I go to bed usually around 1130, and let him out around 1045 and then again right before bed, I wake up around 5:45 to let him out. Any suggestions or advice as what to do? thanks in advance

Andrew

#2 ·
85%-90% is really good!!!! My little one can go about 6 hours at night but then I have to get up. What I would suggest is set your alarm around 2-3 hours and get up and let him out to pee then come back to bed. Have you thought about crate training. We put Marble in the crate and she wakes up about 6 hours and whines and we let her out and she pees.

#3 ·
I would suggest crating him at night. If you really want him in your bed I would set your alarm for 2:30-3:00 and take him out then. Even if you crate him you may need to take him out mid night for a few weeks but they don't want to go where they sleep so if the crate is the correct size most won't go in their crate if it's possible to hold it. Where if they are out they can just go over a foot and pee and then go lay back on the clean bed.

#4 ·
see the only problem with the crate, is that he barks and wakes up my roomates, no matter how many toys he has he just barks and whines. When he is in my bed he doesn't cry he just flops down and sleeps. I will try tonight to take him out around 3. Thanks for the help!

#5 ·
Will he still bark and whine even if the crate is right next to your bed?

Personally, I don't like the idea of having a puppy on the bed when they are not housetrained...

Also, I will just say that the barking/whining while crated is attention seeking. As hard as it may be, invest in some ear plugs and try your best to ignore him. Every time you get up to see him you are reinforcing that barking = attention so therefore he will continue to do it. Ignore him and he will soon realise that he is not getting the desired responce from you.

The crate is the best tool you can use for potty training so I suggest you take advantage and train him to accept it while he is still young. The longer you leave it the more of a struggle it will be as he matures.

#9 ·
my gus is almost 13 weeks and hasn't had any accidents in about 3 weeks, he is crate trained, my breeder suggested taking away his water after supper as he was waking me in the night 2-3 times, i did that and the very first nite i took him out once at about 2 since then he goes from about 10:30 - til 5 or 6, i let him out, he pees and goes back to bed till 7 when i get up. my suggestion would be to remove his water after supper, i walk gus in the evening so if he is looking for a drink when we get home i give him an ice cube or two which he loves. Good Luck.

#11 ·
I can sympathise with the room-mates thing. Not that we had room-mates, but when we first got Rocksy we had two people living in our basement - which had been converted into flats. We could hear them talking and everything, so a little puppy screaming and yelping would have been pretty audible for them!
That's why we had to take her crate into our room at night. It was the only thing that stopped her from screaming the house down. She slept like a baby from the very moment she realised we were right there in the same room as her.

Would your little guy still protest loudly if his crate was right beside your bed?

#12 ·
i understand how it is. but i don't think it such a good idea right now to have the dog sleep in your bed. when i got my lab the owners i got it from had the dog sleep with them so it was hard for us. so when we got a crate she would cry and cry and i couldn't handle it so for the first few weeks we had her what we did was tire her out so much that if we put her in the crate she would just pass out. so in the middle of the night the only time we get up was to take her out. now shes very good at sleeping in the crate when i get up to go to work shes awake and shes just in there kicking back. i take her out tell her to go to her room and she walks back in. so then my g/f sleeps for a while when she wakes she takes her out to play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.