need info on good obedience training schools in new jersey.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need info on good obedience training schools in new jersey.

Defaultneed info on good obedience training schools in new jersey.

rocky is around 16wks old and he knows sit and down ..he still goes for the shoes when he sees them and runs once he takes it..he also pulls when on leash..after i tell him to sit on leash he would sit but then when i say lets go he would pull me..idk if we are training him well?..when i stop him biting something like a foot of the table,he would follow my hand and will attempt to bite it ,if im not quick he can hurt me..he is also hard to feed now.we do feed him same time everyday..
    i thought we could do it but looks like we r not good trainers..im thinkin of goin to an obedience school maybe at least learn the basics do u think its too late?im not sure if what i read in the book was right but it says that the biting should be stopped at least at 12weeks of age?overall im happy with rocky its just the biting and nipping that bothers us..he also jumps on our visitors like sniffing,humping people that come to our house..
    im hoping that this will be resolved,although sometimes im thinkin if i made the right choice of breed for our family..i know its not good to say and i kno that it is our fault why he is like this..i hope u can recommend a good school here ni new jersey preferrably middlesex county..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need info on good obedience training schools in new jersey.

Everything you describe is totally normal puppy behavior, and we were all overwhelmed new puppy owners at one time. It sounds like you are just lacking some basic knowledge about how to train Rocky, and how to manage an unruly, overenthusiastic puppy. For example, why are there shoes around where he can get at them? Do you have a crate or exercise pen? Are you using it? Does he have lots of chew toys? Do you stuff Kongs to keep him occupied when you can't supervise him? Etc.

I would definitely get yourself into a puppy class as soon as you can. Your local humane society is likely to have classes, and usually they are at least competent, sometimes very good. You can also check out the American Pet Dog Training association's trainer search page: http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/us.asp . (You search on your zip code.) It doesn't guarantee a great trainer, but you will get someone at least minimally competent and generally oriented toward reward-based training. Petsmart also has training classes; these vary from decent to not so hot.

You can also check out some books, but NOTHING is a replacement for classes and feedback from a teacher. If you don't have a lot of Lab experience, Joel Walton's "Labrador Retrievers for Dummies" is a pretty good start.

Don't lose heart!!! You'll do fine. Just remember that Labs are drivey and love to play and have fun--more than they like to do what you say! So keep your training light and happy, but be direct and firm, and make him see that it's in his interest to do what you want. Want dinner? Sit and watch me first. Want to go outside? Be calm first. Want to bite my fingers? Uh uh--you get a minute or two in the crate with no attention for that. Play nice? By all means.

P.S. Could you not use chatroom spelling? It makes posts hard to read for us old farts. Thanks.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

It doesn't sound like you're not good trainers, it sounds like you have a normal puppy on your hands. That said, I'm a big believer in puppy & obedience classes- the socialization is great for both of you, and your pup will learn to behave in various situations. If you're willing to travel a little, Top Dog Obedience School in Flanders is really good.

http://www.topdogobedience.com/

Another idea is to look into the local kennel or breed club. Sometimes they run at least a beginners obedience class. If not, someone there might be able to put you in touch with trainers closer to you than Flanders. Here's a link to dog clubs that are members of the NJ Federation of Dog Clubs:

http://www.njfederationofdogclubs.org/MemberClubs.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys a friend with a lab told me that rocky is kinda playful.his dog didn't go to obedience class but he is trained well.the shoes are the ones we wear as soon as u take them off he steals them.I hope that what we are experiencing is really a puppy behavior

I found another trng school but it says that they use a clicker?is that a good method?is that the one that shocks them when u click it?or that's a different thing?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

no, clicker training is reward based training - the click (or a word) marks the correct behaviour, and then the dog is rewarded.

For example: dog sits on command, you click (or say "yes!" or "right!"), then reward the dog with something they find reinforcing (be it treats, toys or petting). Same principle as marine mammal trainers at seaworld - dolphin jumps or flips, trainer blows whistle and delivers a fish treat

thanks man didnt even got close hehehe..she emailed me and was informed that she only do in house training..is that good since we are gonna do it in our house?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

In general, I prefer group or semi private classes because your dog/puppy will learn with distractions you won't find at home.

I think you were confusing clicker training with electronic collars.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I agree... an in-home session is good to get you started, or for specific problems not easily addressed in group classes, but nothing beats the socializing and distractions available in a group course.

and i guess the in home is more $$ than the one in groups..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast