What age to train?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What age to train?

rrubio is offline Member

DefaultWhat age to train?

Im considering taking my pup to a trainer?Kanati is 4 months old now.If I do say so myself,he is pretty damn smart.He know how to sit/stay unless really excited,he can jump when I ask him to,lay when I say so and do the commando walk lol lol.He is completly house broken.We even have a bell on the back patio door that he rings when he needs to go out.
    What I cant seem to do is keep him from jumping on other people.I know he's a pup and its normal but when he gets bigger that will be a problem.When the front door rings he gets excited and can seem to sit/stay.
    What do you guys/gals recommend?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Right now, no reason to wait. I'd get him to a good trainer (NOT PETSMART, YUCK!) once he's had his second shots, which he should by now.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

rrubio is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Right now, no reason to wait. I'd get him to a good trainer (NOT PETSMART, YUCK!) once he's had his second shots, which he should by now.
    I never considered going to Petsmart.He is done with his second shots.Time to start making some calls to some trainers and see what they charge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I would also advise going to sit in on a few classes before you sign up and see if your potential trainer's philosophies are similar to your own.

Both of my boys started puppy kindergarten classes when they were about 10 weeks old, and then on to more formal obedience training.

Good luck and have fun with your pup! He's cute!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above, however I did the Petsmart training and had a great experience. It's very focused to "pet" dogs and as such they work a lot on manners like jumping up, leash walking, etc. I think it all depends on the trainer.

Very good idea to look into it ahead of time, sit in on a few classes and see if it's a good fit. Have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

agree with all above. It's NEVER too early to train good manners, if he's already capable of tricks like the commando walk then I think he's definitely fine to learn some guest greeting manners
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Agree with the above, however I did the Petsmart training and had a great experience. It's very focused to "pet" dogs and as such they work a lot on manners like jumping up, leash walking, etc. I think it all depends on the trainer.

Very good idea to look into it ahead of time, sit in on a few classes and see if it's a good fit. Have fun!
    I'm sure it varies on the teacher, but I tend to not like bringing a puppy to a Petsmart, so dirty in there. I've never been to a clean one. We have two locally and I've been to a few others that I wouldn't want to walk on the floor in.

The local ones here advocate all sorts of contraptions to get your dog to stay with you, harnesses, head halters etc. They aren't actually training the dog. The instructor takes classes at my regular club, so I know she knows how to train, she just isn't allowed to do it her way at Petsmart.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes, the earlier you can start training, the better.

Where are you located, perhaps some folks are in your area and suggest good places to try.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm in favor of YOU learning how to train your dog rather than relying on a trainer to do it.

Get a good book on dog training, such as Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" which is mainstream. Read it. Do what the book says.

Also, use that learning to evaluate the way instructors at local classes operate. Stay away from those with quirky ideas about dogs and training.

Sign up for a class with a good instructor. The instructor often is able to point out things that you're doing with your voice, timing, posture, etc., that is defeating what you're trying to accomplish.

Although I trained my first Lab quite well (in an era when there weren't the multiple dog training classes there are now), when I got Puff I watched the instructor at PetsMart and thought she was excellent. We enrolled and found it helpful. She'd had a lot of training, being mentored, and experience and all of that shone through.

The instructor who replaced her was a young woman whom I'd previously seen grooming dogs in that PetsMart. I stopped for a few minutes and observed her teaching a few classes. She was a FAR cry from having the level of talent our trainer had.

So do your homework and evaluating.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I'm sure it varies on the teacher, but I tend to not like bringing a puppy to a Petsmart, so dirty in there. I've never been to a clean one. We have two locally and I've been to a few others that I wouldn't want to walk on the floor in.

The local ones here advocate all sorts of contraptions to get your dog to stay with you, harnesses, head halters etc. They aren't actually training the dog. The instructor takes classes at my regular club, so I know she knows how to train, she just isn't allowed to do it her way at Petsmart.
    Ours used a clicker, but that was pretty well the only contraption. I'm sure they must be pushed to sell stuff though, that would make sense to me from a business point of view, however I just don't think our instructor really cared about that aspect. The only time she recommended an "aid" for leash walking was in a case where the owner was a willowy chick who maybe weighed 100 pounds soaking wet trying to walk her adopted 10 month old lab/rottie who easily outweighed her, who would pull her right to the ground and keep on truckin'.

I don't find our local one dirty. Some dropped kibbles here and there where bags have a leak, but thats about it. And I think that made for great distraction training.

In Peanut's class (same instructor) it was in the middle of the day on a sunday, so it was super busy in there, which was awesome. People talking and laughing, other dogs barking and being crazy, funny sounds like squeaky carts and all that. Great environment for working on distraction training and proofing, which was essentially what we were there for. I still take Baloo in there for that same reason.

So bottom line, it depends.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast