Choco the log!

Thread: Choco the log!

DefaultChoco the log!

I rescued my lab Choco (a chocolate lab) a year ago. I am just wondering how I can get him to become more active? We think he is about six/seven years old, but all he does is sleep and lie around - he won't run, play....he's just a log!

He's a little overweight, so I've got him on Hills Sciencediet Light, in an attempt to help with weightloss...he probably weighs about 45kg, but keep in mind that he is a tall, well built dog...

I would love to see him run around like there is no tomorrow, play with a frizbe or something. Does anyone have any tips? Maybe his previous owners didn't 'play' with him because he doesn't have a lot of interest in his Kong and other toys that I've given him over the last year.

DS

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Choco the log!

That might just be his personality. We got both our dogs when they were 8 weeks old. Sam wants to play all the time, wakes up very early (5 a.m. or so) wanting to play, etc. Bodie would sleep until 10 a.m. if we let him and most of the time likes to lay around. He will play in the yard with Sam sometimes, but after about 10 minutes would prefer to just lay in the shade and watch everyone else. They both have had their specific personality since they were very little, and it hasn't changed much as they've grown up (Sam is now 4 and Bodie is 3).

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Can he play with other dogs? A friend of mine has a very passive black Lab pup named Buddy. Buddy comes alive when he gets to play with Oona.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would happily bottle up some of Rocket's energy and mail it to your dog. I have not successfully tired Rocket out yet. I live for the day I see him walk thru the door and drop.

He just keeps going, and going, and going.....

I do want to add that since all dogs are different, it may just be his personality type. BUT! Have you had the vet do check him out? I'm not a dog, and I know little about a dog's physiology, but I do know that I have a hypo-thyroid. I'm high energy, but the two times I felt myself dragging and wanting to stay "down" alot, when I saw my dr the first time, I learned thru blood work I needed medication. Days later my life was back to normal. Two years later when the symptoms repeated, lab work again revealed I needed an increase in my dosage. Both times, the medication dropped my weight a few pounds as well.

Who knows, could your dog need something like that, too? Just a thought - it could be a medical thing. And he is getting older . . .

Thanks for the advice guys. I wondered if it was his personality also, but will be taking him to the vet soon, just to check things out.

Choco has this yellow lab who lives in our street - he loves her to bits, and does interact with her...they go to the beach together LOL.