Dominant Dogs!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominant Dogs!

DefaultDominant Dogs!

Hello,

How do you guys deal with a pup that thinks he is the dominant one? I have been told by several people that my dog is a dominant dog. Everytime I try to discipline him, he just barks right back at me and gets more agressive. The vet told me to give him a time out in his crate when this happens, but no luck......

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dominant Dogs!

How old is your pup?

'Dominance' is a word that gets thrown around a lot. I might be in the minority but I don't buy any of the dominance theories. Dog are not wolves and IMO, they certainly don't think like them. What people mistake for dominance is usually just the dog being pushy to see what he/she can or can't get away with. Rules, boundaries and discipline is a must, taking control is a must, but fussing over alpha/dominance theories is not worth your time.

What do you do to discipline your pup? if he is barking at you, it is not working. Possibly he is confused and his barking is his way of telling you that. Also, what is he doing wrong for you to discipline him in the first place?

He is 3 months old. He seems not to listen to anything. He is always trying to bite the electrical wires of the computer and he always tries to jump on the couch to bite my girlfriend. When he jumps on the couch, we push him off and yell "off".....he just contiunes to bark and growl at us. Will give him his toy, but then he is right back at it.

I agree with you, with him just trying to be pushy......but what concerns me is, if I can't control him now when he is this young....its just going to be a bigger problem when he gets older.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

you pup just sounds untrained. pushing and yelling is not the same as training. the dog doesn't understand what you want. probably thinks you are play fighting. young pups LOVE to play fight. figure out what things your pup likes, whether it be food, toys, a game of tug, attention, etc. use those resources to gain leverage. teach him to work for those resources. associate nice behaviors like sitting, laying down, etc. with gaining the things your pup wants, and your pup will be more likely to repeat those behaviors.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sounds just like a 3 month old puppy to me. Remember they have the attention span of a flea. I would put a house leash on him and issue gentle corrections. The leash also makes it easy to catch 'em! ;D

It might help you to get some books on labradors. Your library should be a good source. Read up on the breed and their behavior. It would probably put your mind at ease! ;D They should also have some books on training.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

At 3 months old he is just baby and I can assure he is not being "dominant" -- read those fantastic articles posted by luke from georgia.

teach him to work for those resources. associate nice behaviors like sitting, laying down, etc. with gaining the things your pup wants, and your pup will be more likely to repeat those behaviors.
    Great advice.

Remember, shouting at him and pushing him will have NO effect on his behavior. It will actually do the exact opposite of what you want and will rile him up more. If he gets revved up, bite your lip and put him in his crate. If you are consistant he will quickly learn that his behavior is not getting him what he wants.

Also, don't worry about his behavior now. He is 12 weeks old. In a few years time you will wonder what happened to that crazy little pup.

Trickster - I can not beleive you do not buy into any of these dominance theories. That is just crazy in my eyes. But to each his own. Do you have any evidence to tell anyone elsewise. I would love to read it.

As for dogs not being like wolves...you are just wrong. Have you ever seen wild dogs? Maybe in a foreign country or something? Dogs that roam the streets or land are just like wolves. Within moments they form a pack. Again, any reading materials on this subject, I would love to read it - I have an open mind?

If you let your dog go into the wild and it ran across other roaming dogs, it would become part of the pack instantly and it would know exactly how to act. It is in their genes.

Back to the question. At 12 weeks it is probably not dominance per say. It could be some sort of drive.

First thing to remember is the dog is 12-13 weeks old and has a lot of learning to do over the next year or 2 of its life. It will take time. The more time you spend training, the better! Also, the more dominant you are over the dog - the better! Dominant does not mean yelling though. It means shwoing your dog the way, it means doing things first, it means your dog should never be on your bed or couch (personally choice of course - but it is advised against for a dominant dog).

I prefer not to use 'NO', instead I tell my dog to do something. Like if he goes to eat my food, I tell him to sit, or lie down, or go to his place or even 'leave it'. Leave it means, stay away from whatever he is getting into (grass, sticks, digging, food, garbage etc). I say leave it and he walks away. Or I say sit and he sits in front of me while I eat. Again, I rarely have to use no.

My guess is your dog has a lot of drive and really gets excited about things. You just need to direct that drive into his learning routine and he will be a wonderful dog. Start now. Dogs with drive are much easier to train. Be it a toy or food for reward!!!

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice guys!! I will try these things....

Let us know how things go over the next few weeks.

Best of Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast