Sudden Change in Stool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Change in Stool

kk4389 is offline Member

DefaultSudden Change in Stool

Sorry for the Gross Topic, but I gotta ask.
    We recently weened our puppies from Purina Puppy Chow to Diamond Lamb & Rice Food. I did this by slowly adding the Diamond food to Puppy Chow over a period of 2 weeks. I did this because I read that the puppys can get diarrhea if you suddenly change their food. Well, they did good for the 2 weeks, and now we are noticing they are having a very loose stool, not watery, but very soft and they go a lot at a time.
    The only other possible contributing factors would be:
    1.) They had their second distemper shot last Saturday at the Vet
    or
    2.) We gave them their interceptor heart worm pills Tuesday
    I am not sure exactly what day this started, but it was definetly sometime AFTER the vet appointment Saturday.
    Are the Heartworm pills or the distemper shots known to cause this?
    Any other suggestions as to what could be the cause?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sudden Change in Stool

Well, interceptor is a wormer so they could expelling any worms...but are your feeding puppy or adult food?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Overfeeding will also cause loose stools. How old are they and how much are you feeding them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kk4389 is offline Member

We feed them Diamond Large Breed Puppy Food. We haven't seen any worms come out (and the interceptor is for HEART worms. Would we see worms come out from the heart?)
    They are almost 3 months old. One is 15.15 Lbs. and we feed him 3/4 cup 3 times per day and the other is 23.5 Lbs. and we feed him close to 1 cup 3 times per day.

Mybabymambo Guest

Sorry I just wanted to say I love your siggy. They are both very cute. Oh and pretty tree as well

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yes, Interceptor is a heartworm preventative, HOWEVER, it also has protection against 3 other types of worms.

From their website:

Worms can cause your dog pain and discomfort, and sometimes even death. Unfortunately, the chances are good that a dog will get worms.

Luckily, it's simple to protect your dog from internal parasites with INTERCEPTOR® (milbemycin oxime) Flavor Tabs®. INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs are the only oral monthly preventive that protects against four parasites all at once. INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs prevents deadly heartworm disease, while it protects your dog against adult roundworms (Toxocara canis,Toxascaris leonina), adult hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum) and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis).
    you wouldn't really see hooks or whips that easily as round worms.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kk4389
    They are almost 3 months old. One is 15.15 Lbs. and we feed him 3/4 cup 3 times per day and the other is 23.5 Lbs. and we feed him close to 1 cup 3 times per day.
    Well I'd rule out overfeeding, as that sounds about right. One other question - you don't see mucous in the stool do you? (If it's there, you can't miss it, so it's not like you need to overanalyze this ;D)

kk4389 is offline Member

There isn't any mucus in their stool. We started adding back in a little of the Puppy Chow (because that's what they were on before) and the stools are looking a lot better. I think it has something to do with the Diamond Brand LB Puppy food. If we feed them that alone, their stools are runny.
    Thanks MyBabyMambo for the compliment!

Tucker is 7 months now and he was brought up on Iams LB puppy food, but at 6 months are vet recommened that we put him on adult food so we slowly switched to Diamond premium adult and his stool is pretty soft also. When he was on the Iams his stool looked great but now he has had a loose stool ever since i have been feeding him the Diamond food. I was like you he just got his shots and heartworm pills and thought that that might be the problem, but now its still continuing so another change in food might be in the near future!

So I have to add iams now to rockys purina puppy chow?he's with the purina brand per the breeder.but my friend said iams is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast