What to feed her?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to feed her?

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat to feed her?

Just wondering what you all fed your pups.
    I go to pick ours up on Saturday and I'm getting kind of excited.
    I know I will not use Purina puppy chow as it was not a good thing for my first lab.
    Any recommendations???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: What to feed her?

I would stick with what the breeder feeds. If it's something really awful (like Pedigree) then look into changing it, but only after several weeks when things for your puppy have settled down. Also, should you switch the food, do so very gradually -- meaning take at least 1 to 2 weeks by gradually increasing the new food, and gradually decreasing the old food. Puppies can have sometimes have a very sensitive system and take it from me, you do not want to go there! ;D

Thanks.............I should have elaborated a bit. Right now they are feeding her soft Beniful (sp) I don't know if it is puppy formula or not, I would imagine that it is. I will buy a bag of that and as you say slowly switch over. My vet, naturally says Ims or Sci Dt. But I have heard good things about Beniful.
    More comments? (and thanks in advance)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Beneful? I hear that stuff is awful.
    ~Lindsay

Honestly the first I have heard of it, my daughters dog was throwing up a lot and she took her to the vet. The vet put her on Beneful and there has been no problem since. I was rather suprised also! Some times I get silly and try to save some money. I guess I will probably go with Iams or Sci Dt.
    Thanks

Dani is offline Senior Member

Beneful is horrible. Any vet that prescribes Beneful is wacked out of their mind. What kind of breeder did you go through?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There is no unanimous agreement on this but the majority (maybe a slim majority) of people recommend feeding a LARGE BREED PUPPY formulation for the first year (or some would say the first 6 - 11 months).

That's because the amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and kcals are adjusted in LBP food formulations so that the joints don't close too soon.

Premature joint closure is one of the three major interacting causes of later joint problems -- the other two are early stress (as from jumping, early injury) as well as hereditary/genetic factors.

I belong to the group that favors LBP food, figuring that anything I can do to reduce the risk of joint problems -- to which Labs are very susceptible -- is worth it. (For that reason I've also fed my Lab a Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablet since she's been one year old.) And my vet, a diplomate in internal medicine at Kansas State's CollVetMed, strongly recommended feeding a good LBP food for Puff's first year.

Among the commonly available better quality LBP foods are (alphabetically) the newly introduced "Diamond Naturals" (commonly available in feed stores or you can go to their website and find a store locator -- they do NOT advertise so they depend on word of mouth to build sales; their straight "Diamond" is now of slightly lower quality with fillers; all Diamond prices are much lower than other comparable quality products); Eukanuba (the better quality, higher cost version of Iams); Nutro Natural Choice (Nutro Ultra may be better quality, it's a new line and I haven't compared its ingredients with their NC; their Nutro Max is of lower quality -- more fillers); and ProPlan (their Purina One is a lower grade, more fillers, by the same company). Science Diet also has a LBP food but typically SD uses a lot of grain fillers and a LOT of promotional incentives to vets to push their sales.
    =======================================

Disclosure: I fed my Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 65 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] Nutro Natural Choice LBP food for her first 11 months and then switched her to Diamond Lamb & Rice ("Diamond Naturals" did not exist at that time -- the brand had not yet then split into a lower and higher quality line).

Soon I switched her to Kirkland's L&R; "Kirkland" is a house brand sold only in Costco's (a warehouse club like Sam's but with -- IMO -- usually much higher quality products and slightly higher prices). I now feed her Kirkland C&R because it now has fewer fillers than their L&R.

Kirkland's dog food is made by the same comapny that makes Diamond and the Kirkland dog food formulations are VERY similar to that of the "Diamond Naturals".

It used to be that Kirkland was very similar to equivalent Diamond formulas but about 9 months ago the Kirkland formulas diverged to become very similar to that of the later arriving, new "Diamond Naturals".
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Beneful is an awful food.

Beneful Original
    Ingredients

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
    F-4090

I have highlighted some of the worst ingredients. I honestly wouldn't feed this if it was the last food on earth. Feeding something like this is like us eating fast food every day -- pure junk. It won't kill us but it sure won't keep us healthy.

If you want to put your dog on a healthier food, look into some of the named brands Bob Pr posted. All those are readily available and won't cost you are fortune.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

This is just my experience- but my puppy came from the breeder eating Iams. I just finished switching her to Nutro LBP. Her poops have gotten so much smaller and her previously terrible gas has disappeared! It's really worth it to consider a higher quality food.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Okay, this is absolutely great!!!! Just exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all so much. I will look into the LBP TODAY. My Choclate lab I have now.....I made the huge mistake of feeding Purina Puppy chow to. She started having problems, took her to the vet and he immediately took her off PPC. It was making her grow to fast and stretching ligaments and such. Three hind knee surgeries later(one on the left and two on the right). We can't let her hunt, play hard and in general must be extremely carefull of her activities. She is only 9. But we love her so much!
    I want to make sure I do the best thing from the get go with this one. I have bought a small bag of beneful and will switch the new pup as quickly as I can without upsetting her system. I believe they sell the Diamond brand at our local Bomgaars. Can that be the same brand you are talking about? I'll also look into the Nutro brand and see if I can find it. Thank you all again!!!!!
    PS I will let my daughter know what she is feeding her dog and question her choice of vet care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast