I'm sure this is our fault, but need advice
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this is our fault, but need advice

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm sure this is our fault, but need advice

Alright, heres the story. Ty has been doing wonderfully in his crate. No accidents (VERY rarely a pee accident). Until I left last week on a business trip. I left Sun night, got home Wed night. My wife works 30 miles away, so she's gone from 7-5:30. I usually am with him right up until 7:45, back home at 10 to let him out, back home for lunch 12-1, back at 3, home at 5. So, I knew we would need somebody to stop by three times a day to let him out. Well, on Monday my MIL was supposed to come by at lunch to let him out, and then again at 3. Well, she forgot and poor Ty stayed in his crate from about 10 until about 5:30 (He was fed at 10 by my father, and I have no idea why he decided to feed him then...but thank goodness he did). So obviously poor Ty was forced to poop in his crate. I was furious obviously. Well, Tuesday rolls around...he's let out at 10...MIL comes by at lunch to let him out. My father was supposed to come by at 2:30...I even talked to him RIGHT before "yeah i'm headed over there now"...well, sure enough, he forgot. My mom was going to come by at 3:45...but my wife put the chain lock on the front door (only door my mom had a key to). So once AGAIN, Ty stayed in his crate from about 1 to 6PM. AGAIN, he had to poop in his crate.

Needless to say, I felt both responsible and furious about it all. Since then he has peed in the crate about twice (each left alone about 2.5 hours). So I took the blanket out and he didn't for a while. So I put the blanket back in...well yesterday he peed on it during the day. Alright, today I go home at 10 to let him out...as soon as I open the door...it hits me :-X. Yeah he pooped in his crate...was laying in his blanket...all over him, blanket, crate, and toy. I usually don't have much time at these midday visits, but I had to bath him..clean out crate, etc.

Okay, got to thinking about it. He pooped his morning around 6:15 with my wife. I fed him around 7:15...took him out...peed but no poop. We stayed out there a while...I had to go to work and he wouldn't poop. It was not diarrhea. All of his stools have been great since I took away the pigs ears (Thanks for that advice!). So, even though this was a week after the original accidents...could this be a result of those? Or is this because he didn't go this morning before I left? What should we do? He hasn't been just loving his crate...we usually bait him in with a kibble or two and shut the door while he's chewing. We don't feed him in there, should we start? Should blanket be taken our permanently? Thanks all...sorry for long post!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm sure this is our fault, but need advice

Poor Ty.

He's getting confused about whether it's okay to poop in the crate or not. I'd take out all bedding and make SURE he poops before going in there. Are you using a potty-word? If not, start. And keep encouraging him w/it 'til he goes. And then set off skyrockets of praise.

Then use it regularly 'til he gets the idea that poop = outside.

You might also want to hire a professional dog-walker and move away from relying on (none too reliable) family members for this.

Yeah, i'll try that!

But see I thought he KNEW poop was for outside...but I guess not!

And just now, I was home for lunch. Fed him as soon as I got there (about 12:10-15), did NOT poop OR pee the whole hour. I stayed out there..and must have said "go potty" 23002123 times and I got nothing. I tried with a leash...he just fussed and just kinda sat there and gave up...chewing on it. So we went back inside...I knew that I only had a few minutes left so we went outside offleash. I thought maybe if he ran around and played a little bit it would "get things movin!". But to no avail.

SO....i'm REALLY dreading going home at 3 to see what I find....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's frustrating, but he'll 'get' it. I'd use a separate word for poop too. For pee'ing, I always said 'go potty go potty'. For poop'ing, I'd say 'potty poop, potty poop', : (don't laugh ) so he'd get the idea of the difference.

Although it may be hard some days to do it, I'd keep him on as regular a schedule as possible, for eating, playing, potty breaks; that'll help him learn quicker, I think.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Go for a brisk walk rather than just standing around the yard. Dogs, like people, find that exercise can get the works moving.....

Well, I try to run around the yard with him (get some funny looks from the neighbors), but I can't go on a walk with him yet since he's just 9 weeks. In fact, I JUST got back from the house again (I snuck out a little early) and he hadn't pooped in there...but he didn't poop outside either. He did pee but thats it. I'll just wait and see when I go back home (crosses fingers)

Just my opinion, but I think when you are trying to teach a potty word you start by saying it when your puppy is already going. So everytime you see the dog starting to go, you say "potty word of your choice." Then, after weeks of hearing the word as they are going to the bathroom, then you try to say the word first and hope that it prompts them to go. If you've been saying "go potty" a million times and getting nothing I'd start with a new word. We use "hurry up" and it was literally at least a month before I was confident enough to start using the word to prompt Cody to go.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I took Rowan's third feeding away at about 3 months. As I didn't have time at lunch to wait for her to get it out of her system.

I get up at 5:30 am and feed her ~ she eats and goes outside and does 1 & 2. She comes back in and plays until about 7:15 when I take her out again and she goes pee. I take her water up at this point. I then take her out again around 8 am and she does both. I crate her... go to work.

I come home at 11:45 - give her a small drink take her outside ~ usually does both. 12:15 crate her and I go back to work.

I am home at 3:25 - take her outside and she plays ~ goes pee

4:00 pm ~ supper time and outside break - both again......

I would agree your pup is confused....... keep being consistent... and give your parents the call the next time he needs a bath..... :-[ The might not forget him next time.

In the New Year I am going to break away from coming home at lunch too....
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well ... does your puppy know what the word potty means? If not, I don't think you should be saying "go potty 23002123 times". If he doesn't understand the words, it's not going to work. I would wait until you see him squat and then say "go potty ... good potty", and throw a ticker-tape parade. He has to learn to associate the word w/ the action. Don't give up .. having a potty word will be among the best darn things you'll teach!

you also should bear in mind that the odd feeding times [10???], visits by 'strangers' and so on have messed up his system, it will take awhile to readjust to his/your former schedule.
    i totally agree, remove [destroy!] all bedding, & wash the crate itelf with a soap & bleach solution [submerge the bottom in the bathtub & soak for 10 minutes if it'll fit] to remove all odors HE can smell.
    try to go back to a 'more often' schedule, as if he were a younger dog, and teach him the 'potty now' command of your choice.
    don't forget that 'exercise = action' when taking those potty breaks, and add treats to the process if you think he'll be interested.

well--have viewed this and have NO idea why there are lines through some of it--any ideas, i can't make them go away!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast