Jumping

Thread: Jumping

dare1969 Guest

DefaultJumping

I can't seem to keep Sydney from jumping on people when she comes over. She jumps high! I give the No Jump command, but that goes out the window as soon as someone new comes over. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping

first, understand that this is normal dog behavior. dogs greet each other by sniffing faces and touching noses. second, try to teach your dog to Sit in order to greet people. when a greeting situation comes up, give a Sit command. if the dog sits, praise/reward and ask the person to offer the top of their hand for sniffing and maybe a chest rub. if the dog doesn't sit, ask the person to turn around and ignore the dog.

the dog cannot sit and jump up at the same time. reinforce the sit action to teach your dog that sitting is the proper behavior to offer when greeting new people.

another twist that works REALLY well is to give the visitor a treat to give to your dog for a good Sit.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Here is a good response about jumping up:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg216870

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am in the middle of trying the "ignore" methods with Bailey.
    She is so bad at jumping (but not with me & my husband) with new people. I'm trying to get a couple of our close friends/relatives involved in the training process, but it's hard this time of year when people are so busy with the holidays to get them to come over.
    I'm in the same situation so good luck to you & Sydney too!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey24
    I am in the middle of trying the "ignore" methods with Bailey.
    She is so bad at jumping (but not with me & my husband) with new people. I'm trying to get a couple of our close friends/relatives involved in the training process, but it's hard this time of year when people are so busy with the holidays to get them to come over.
    I'm in the same situation so good luck to you & Sydney too!
    I did the ignore method and it worked. I started the day we brought Sami home. She doesn't ever jump on anyone, unless invited (i.e., I taught her -- much later -- to jump up in my lap). I taught her not to jump by totally ignoring her when she would jump and dodging the jumps (so she was not successful). Just remember that it's equally important to reward her when she is actually doing what you want ... so when Bailey stops jumping, praise her and even reward w/ a treat. It may take a while, but she'll catch on. I would say that Sami picked this up in a matter of 2 weeks ... but I think it helped that we started on day 1. She did sort of start again around 5 months of age, but once again we ignored/dodged, and that was a very short-lived phase.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I did the ignore method and it worked. I started the day we brought Sami home. She doesn't ever jump on anyone, unless invited (i.e., I taught her -- much later -- to jump up in my lap). I taught her not to jump by totally ignoring her when she would jump and dodging the jumps (so she was not successful). Just remember that it's equally important to reward her when she is actually doing what you want ... so when Bailey stops jumping, praise her and even reward w/ a treat. It may take a while, but she'll catch on. I would say that Sami picked this up in a matter of 2 weeks ... but I think it helped that we started on day 1. She did sort of start again around 5 months of age, but once again we ignored/dodged, and that was a very short-lived phase.
    Thanks for the encouragement ThatsMyGirl; we're trying real hard! I just have to remember to have treats at hand so when she does sit/stand instead of jumping she gets rewarded.