How do I train my kids and my puppy?

Thread: How do I train my kids and my puppy?

DefaultHow do I train my kids and my puppy?

Let me tell nya when we got our little Bear I had know idea how much work it was. I have never owned a puppy and where is I have 2 children...they didn't bite and jump and claw at 6, 7, 8 or 9 weeks. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but how do i get him not to be so rough with the boy's ( 9 and 6) ? He alway's wants to play with them but they hate the biting and clawing. Also how do I get him to listen to there commands a well. He does fine with me, but with them and even my husband he ignores. I know it takes time and eventually ( so I have been told) the bitting will stop. Any advice would be much apprecitaed. Thanks all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do I train my kids and my puppy?

Have you started doing any kind of leash training yet? Have them work with him, and right now I wouldn't have the kids getting down on the ground to play with him because he sees them as littermates.
    Olie

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

get this book.* it has lots of good tips on training, including step by step How To's and lots of info on how to get your kids involved. *

http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-New-...e=UTF8&s=books

Book Description:
    Fun training with toys, treats, lures and rewards. Easy and effective, dog-friendly techniques for teaching a new puppy old tricks (such as basic manners), or for teaching an older dog that is new to training.
    Heralded by many dog trainers as 'the best dog training book ever written'. A comprehensive workbook for the motivated dog owner, comprising sections on basic off-leash obedience, temperament modification, behavior troubleshooting, training theory and health care. The definitive text for lure/reward training philosophy.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I raised my dogs with my little ones. You'll find that with time, your pup will start listening to your kids just as well as you.....if not better. Kids always have food you know....lol. Just be sure that the kids know the commands and proper consequences to bad behavior and pretty soon it'll all become second nature to both your pup and the kids. But more than anything, it takes time and repetition. I thought I'd never get through the puppy years. My 2 kids were only toddlers when we got our dogs......that was ROUGH!!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Although you do need to work on the pup/kid mix by addressing both sides, PUPS AND KIDS, I will say not to have too many expectations for a 9 wk old puppy as far as learning commands goes. He is just a baby and won't 'get' what you're talking about for a while.

Be patient and persistent, but keep training short and fun.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I was exactly where you are just a short time ago..... and I thought it would never get any better. The good news is it does. I still have some dilemma's with the kids and Rowan but it has gotten better.
    Just be consistent!! Good luck!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•