question for those with more than one dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for those with more than one dog

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion for those with more than one dog

I've seen so many pics from y'all with two or more dogs (all labs or labs and other breeds). They are just lying there or sitting together....all calm and sweet looking.

Every time Annie got around another dog, she went crazy....which means both dogs went crazy....chasing, nipping, playing, rowdy. It was impossible to have anyone over here with another dog unless we kept both dogs on leashes....inside!

This was especially bad when our son and his wife would have us keep their boxer for a few days. We had to literally do a 2 hours in crate/2 hours out of crate for each dog. We would have to put Annie in her crate for 2 hours (in another room) and allow the boxer out with us. Then put the boxer in her crate (in a different room) and allow Annie out with us. There was absolutely NO calming them down when they were together. They were both trained, but when they got together, they both suffered from a severe case of "training deprivation."

And it wasn't just the boxer. It was anytime anyone brought over a dog.

How do y'all stop the rough housing among the dogs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: question for those with more than one dog

Once the newness wears off they are much calmer. I think the issue you are seeing is that both dogs are "only" dogs so when they get a chance to play with someone else, they cease the moment.*

Don't let the photos fool you. Mine still rough house together but they seem to have certain times of the day that they do it (right after breakfast and right after dinner being prime romping time). My house becomes a race course as they butt tuck thru the rooms, using the sectional as a banked curve, leaping off the sofa on to each other, only to tumble into a pile of growling/snarling teeth.* Then they jump up and do it again.* I would stop them but I'm usually laughing so hard I can't breathe.* ;D* When they stop, I put the house back together (unroll the rugs, move the sectional back into place, pick up the papers that have been blown off the table, etc).* ;D

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Trust me, when two or more dogs live together the novelty of playing/rough housing constantly does eventually wear off. When you only have one dog, playdates are more of an occasional thing which is why they get so revved up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Mine rough house inside all the time. Some days they act like they are going to eat eachother!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i agree with the others.* my two are mostly slugs around the house, but they sure do have their moments of playing, chasing, wrestling, and bitey face.* ;D

remember, dogs are highly social animals.* it's natural for them to want to interact with other dogs as well as other people, and especially if the dog in question doesn't get a lot opportunities for socialization.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

It used to be that I had a hard time just talking on the phone over all the loud grizzly bear growling, snarling and barking from my two girls. I couldn't get away from it because they followed me everywhere with it. Mostly they just lay around now. They'll still break out into a noisy round of bitey face from time to time but not like they used to.

Yup, mine bark, growl, wrestle, run, bank of fthe walls and all of the stuff that makes it sound like a pit bull fighting ring when I am on the phone! They do become calm, but if I were to get up and get the camera to take a picture, they'd go at it all over again!

I am constantly breaking up bitey face. They get going so crazy that they create a mess and give me a headache. They do sleep after they have had enough though.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Why did you seperate the dogs? They are just playing. Bitey face and wrestling around here is fun to watch...it wears them out and when they settle down, I get to turn down the tv again.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

When my Lab was a year old, I brought home a 6 month old rough Collie, that first week whenever I put them together I was scared to death...there was so much snarling and rolling around going on...it scared me and of course I didn't want either dog to get hurt....so I stood there with the water hose...just waiting in case I had to break up a fight, that would be the way to do it. For all the noise, there was not one tooth mark on either of them as there were trying to figure out who was going to be "top dog" Boxers and Labs are both very active breeds....so as long as both of them have decent temperments....they will probably just play really rough..and wear each other out...
    As far as the in the house goes, I have always insisterd that my dogs don't rough house inside the house....so if they got going I would either put them both on a down/stay, or told them they had to go outside if they wanted to run around....
    So maybe next time the boxer is over, the owners could stick around for awhile....and you could try putting the dogs together. You just got to be careful where you stand because sometimes when they get running they don't always watch who they might run into..and you might get bowled over...
    Good luck!
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast