Heel on the left.....sometimes..

Thread: Heel on the left.....sometimes..

DefaultHeel on the left.....sometimes..

Hi All-

Every day I learn more and more and more from this site!

Got a question- training Kaylee to walk on my left. She's doing pretty well, but some of the areas around us have sidewalks only on one side of the street- right in front of my house in particular. The problem when walking back home, if she's on my left she's on the street side of the sidewalk and I'd rather have her on the right side. She'd rather be on the right as well, pulling to get on the right becasue frankly, the lawns are more interesting than the asphalt!

I'm concerned that letting her on the right too often will hinder my training of her to be on my left. Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

-Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heel on the left.....sometimes..

I'm certainly not the mos knowledgable person but here is what i do:

Rocky does a decent heel. But like you, I didn't always want him on the same side. So I just switch him. I show him (tell him) what side I want him on and he gets the idea and stays there. He knows that heel means to stay back in line with me so he'll fall back to that on both sides.
    Some may say this is bad training. But for me and rocky, it works.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

maybe you can teach the dog "right heel" and "left heel". I would first teach the dog to know what right and left means and then once in the position you can ask the dog to heel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If your going to be doing obediance trials the dog should always be on your left side unless you have a physical disability that prohibits this. Otherwise left/right isn't that big a deal. The bigger issue is that he is going where he wants to rather than where you want him to.
    Olie

debjen is offline Senior Member

In agility we train the dogs to be on both sides so there is nothing wrong with teaching them to walk on either side. For left I use Heel and for the right I use Side.

Thanks all for the great ideas. I just didn't want to confuse Kaylee and from what I'm hearing is it's not a problem, even if we go the agility or obedience route, as long as she learns her left from her right. Not sure I even know that some mornings, so maybe my wife can do that training!

Thanks again for making this a great source of info!

-Dan