Puppy Books
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Books

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Books

What is everyone's favorite puppy care and training book? Why?

My search turned up so many puppy books, I don't know where to start and wondered what some good ones are, that have been useful for lab owners. Looking for books that are detailed enough to be useful to owners with prior puppy experience, and ones that emphasis holistic puppy raising would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For advice on training, I like best Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" (see it on Amazon and read the reviews -- over a hundred readers rate it VERY highly).

For understanding dogs, I most favor McConnell's books, such as "The Other End of the Leash" plus any of her pamphlets on specific behavioral issues.

For understanding Labs in all their variations and differences, I most favor reading posts on the relevant child-boards of this JL forum PLUS the preceding JL forum (now inactive/you can't post on it BUT can still read it).

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,1694.0.html

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 04-27-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

My favourite training-specific books are Pat Miller's "Power of Positive Dog Training" and/or "Positive Perspectives" (clicker based), as well as Ian Dunbar's "How to teach a new dog old tricks" (lure/reward)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Oh! and another dealing with the care side rather than training.

Get a copy of "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook", about $25 + S&H from Amazon. It covers all life stages, feeding, etc. It will save you much worry as well as money from needless vet bills but prompt you to see the vet when needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Owners-Hom...By=addFiveStar

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 04-29-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Cheerio is offline Senior Member

Keep up the suggestions! I'm building my summer reading list.

sandyriver is offline Member

TalkingSo many good books out there....

BUILDING BLOCKS FOR PERFORMANCE
    by Bobbie Anderson (See other books by author)
    Publisher: Alpine Publishing
    Edition: 2002 Paperback, 142 pages

ISBN: 1577790375
    Summary: Building drive, focus, and motivation in a puppy through goal-oriented play and a variety of other positive experiences. Will help trainers bond strongly with their puppy, build a solid foundation of teamwork, and encourage the puppy to develop a "send me in, coach!" attitude. Methods will work for a puppy destined for any performance career from obedience or agility to tracking or lure coursing.

The above is good if you want to compete in any dogsport in the future...below are some excellent general puppybooks that I really like.

PUPPY PRIMER (SCIDMORE, MCCONNELL)
    by Brenda Scidmore & Patricia McConnell (See other books by author)

Publisher: Dog's Best Friend, Ltd.
    Edition: 1998 Paperback, 65 pages

ISBN: 1891767011
    Summary: Raise that new puppy successfully with this understandable and user-friendly primer! Includes socialization, how to raise a confident puppy, basic obedience/manners, crate training, play biting, housetraining.

A newer one that came out after my boy was raised is Smart Puppy....I'll add this one to my collection for raising my next pup.

MY SMART PUPPY (BOOK & DVD)
    by Brian Kilcommons & Sarah Wilson (See other books by author)

Publisher: Warner Books
    Edition: 2006 Hardback, 320 pages

ISBN: 044657886X

Summary: Fun, effective, and easy puppy training! Includes bonus DVD with training demonstrations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expanded Description:

You can't teach a puppy important life lessons by yelling "No!" Instead you need to let your puppy know what you want in a way she understands. Filled with helpful training photos and a DVD to demonstrate techniques, this book provides fun, dog-friendly and effective ways to quickly establish good puppy habits and manners and prevent bad behavior.

You can get some great books from www.dogwise.com where they have detail on the various books. I also order from Amazon or Borders because you can buy new or used. I order used from Amazon which has only $3.99 shipping and often they come from GoodWill so my money is going to a good cause.

If you're really interested in the theory & methodology of various training methods and/or canine behavior anything by Patricia McConnell or Brenda Alloff would be great. I wish that I had read more in depth books not just the "How To" books when Sandy was younger but have built on my knowledge so I can be a better trainer for my next lab , though Sandy is a great lab and he's done well for me. Just knowing about canine communication & behavior will help you to understand your puppy.

This one I am reading now and enjoying it very much:

EXCEL-ERATED LEARNING
    by Pamela Reid
    Publisher: James & Kenneth
    Edition: 1996 Paperback, 172 pages

ISBN: 1888047070

Summary: Motivation, stages of learning, operant conditioning, factors that affect learning, negative punishment. In plain English--at last! Select the methods that work best for your dog!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expanded Description:

Explains in plain English how dogs learn and how best to teach them! Contents: Motivation, stages of learning, why study learning, science of behaviorism, classical conditioning, operant conditioning, single-event learning, factors that affect learning (timing, schedules of reinforcement), stimulus (signal) control, aversive control of behavior, negative punishment, the application of learning principles to changing behavior, social learning, and more.

Have fun reading!!!!
    Last edited by sandyriver; 05-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Sandy River Nuphar CD, RE, CGC
    Sakura RA, CGC (Minpin)

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

Yes, Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook is one I have, an older edition anyway, it is much better than a lot of the new books.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Another vote for "culture clash", fantastic book for anyone who owns a dog. Sometimes I think it should be mandatory.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sandyriver is offline Member

Culture clash by Jean Donaldson is a good one however I have recommended to other people and they thought it kind of complicated to read so that is why I also added some other authors out there that are quite knowledgeable behaviorists.

Has anyone read her new book: OH BEHAVE! - DOGS FROM PAVLOV TO PREMACK TO PINKER (Jean Donaldson). If so I'd love to hear what you thought about it? I'm thinking of ordering that one and adding to my library and of course reading it

I also forgot to mention that Ian Dunbar has some good stuff out there also.

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook also comes in handy. A pet first aid kit in your car and house is also a good idea. I also took an American Red Cross Pet First Aid & CPR course which can be beneficial if you live out in the country. I live at least an hour away from any ER Vet so I thought it beneficial to have some first aid knowledge. I've since used the first aid on neighbors dog and minor accidents with my own dogs---minpin choking....---lab unexpected allergic reaction,etc.
    Last edited by sandyriver; 05-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Sandy River Nuphar CD, RE, CGC
    Sakura RA, CGC (Minpin)

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I received Oh Behave for xmas this year... its a collection of essays and articles on behavior, problem solving, genetics, choosing a puppy, rescue, etc (some first printed in Dogs In Canada, so they weren't new to me) but she's her usual, brilliant humorous self

Highly recommended!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast