Designated pooping area

Thread: Designated pooping area

audiobabie is offline Junior Member

DefaultDesignated pooping area

I have made the mistake of letting my dog poop where ever he feels like in my backyard.* I tried fencing in an area at the end of the yard about 12'x12'* *but so far he has only peed, but will not poop there.* One day, I kept taking him out every hour to the fenced area and he would not poop, he went the entire day without pooping until I gave up @ 2 in the morning!!!!!!!!
    Can anyone please give me some suggestions???????* I've also tried placing some of his poop in the area.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Designated pooping area

Quote Originally Posted by audiobabie
    I have made the mistake of letting my dog poop where ever he feels like in my backyard.* I tried fencing in an area at the end of the yard about 12'x12'* *but so far he has only peed, but will not poop there.* One day, I kept taking him out every hour to the fenced area and he would not poop, he went the entire day without pooping until I gave up @ 2 in the morning!!!!!!!!
    Can anyone please give me some suggestions???????* I've also tried placing some of his poop in the area.*
    I've honestly laughed when our dog would go to where she's supposed to poop but then searched and circled for minutes still trying to find the "right place." I've asked my husband why do dogs do this? Why isn't any old place good enough?

Having one place for your dog to poop is good, but honestly can we poop when someone tells us? Think about the digestive system. Our dog poops in the morning after she's had some water that gets her digestive system going or in the evening after her meal. Consider your dog's digestive system. Also, there's nothing like a walk to get your dog to poop but often they will poop where you don't want it (better take one of those bags). I think the lesson is that dogs will poop when their digestive system is stimulated by food/water or exercise.

for rocky his 1st night and 2nd night he pooped in his crate early am around 4am..3rd night took him to poop at 3am and everything was fine ..now i just got home at 2am and he pooped alreadyin the crate ..hes havin loose stool again like monday early am..ive noticed that the poop has grass and small leaves..coz everytime i take him to do his thing he eats the grass and i cant stop him from this..is it too dangerous for a pup to have loose stool?he wont poop on pavement he likes the soil and grass..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    for rocky his 1st night and 2nd night he pooped in his crate early am around 4am..3rd night took him to poop at 3am and everything was fine ..now i just got home at 2am and he pooped alreadyin the crate ..hes havin loose stool again like monday early am..ive noticed that the poop has grass and small leaves..coz everytime i take him to* do his thing he eats the grass and i cant stop him from this..is it too dangerous for a pup to have loose stool?he wont poop on pavement he likes the soil and grass..
    Puppies need to bite and chew ... so get some good chew toys ... so they won't need to chew everything in sight.

Puppies (like babies) have loose stools sometimes ... don't think it's life threatening. However, you need to decide where you want your pup to poo ... and train them to go there ... associate a word for when they poo ... and then limit them to where you want them to poo and then praise, praise, praise when they do it correctly with the word you've selected. Pretty soon you will take them to the place and say the word and they will do it.

It's a matter of patience and training ... and praise, praise, praise.

so what im doin is wrong i take him outside and let him find the spot

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This "designated poop spot" has come up a number of times over the last 5 years.

Some people have been successful in training some Labs to poop in special places.* Most people and Labs have not.

I think poop gets used by many dogs to mark their territory.* If so, probably few Labs would want to have a small territory.

Poop possibly also gets used to send a message about the pooper -- at least that's what seems to be happening when Puff looks for just the right spot to poop on.

As an alternative to the designated spot, you might try training to poop and pee on command.

Now that Puff is an adult, she's fairly regular in when she needs to poop -- within 5 minutes of when we get to the nature preserve about 7 AM, then again around 2 PM,* and possibly at 10 PM.

At 2 PM, I "bowl" a baseball on the sidewalk in front of the house.* Puff runs after it and brings it back.* About 5-8 runs like that and Puff is ready to poop.

I always bag it immediately after she goes so it's a convenience to me to be able to hasten it.

We use the mantra "Puff, potty!* Puff, potty! ..... etc."* To get instilled, walk your dog and as soon as he begins assuming a posture to poop (arched back, tail in a certain position)* keep repeating it over and over at the first indications.* I think I also gave a treat right after the pooping was completed.* *After a week or two of repeating this each time, the mantra will gain power to get the process underway (providing the poop is loaded in the right place in the colon).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

To me, as long as they poop outside, it's all good. Miles can poop wherever he wants as long as it's outside