How consistency and repetition works

Thread: How consistency and repetition works

DefaultHow consistency and repetition works

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but just wanted to share my experience....

I'd read that dogs like routine, and that patience consistency and repetition are important in training.* I found this to be true.* Tucker's always been a pretty easy dog, so far.* Things I wanted him to do or know I just included into the daily routine.

One example of it working is this....we have a big yard, with only about 5 houses around us.* Open farm fields and woods around; neighbor's have ponds, where he's allowed to swim.* He goes swimming probably 3 times a week....2 minute walk from the yard up the lane to the ponds.

Tucker has freedom outside in the yard; he doesn't wander out of it.* But, we've always put him onleash to leave the yard, when we take him to the fields or pond.* When we get to the bottom of our driveway, I'd always say 'wait', he'd stop and I'd put the leash on.* When we got to the field or pond, the leash came off.* When leaving the field or pond, leash back on 'til we got to our driveway.

I quit using the leash.* As soon as I have a bumper in hand, I say wanna go swimming?* He gets excited and knows where we're going.

We head down to the end of the driveway, him ahead, excited....but he'll still stop at the end of the driveway, wait for me, then I say 'ok', and we head up the lane to the pond.* *I can see that the repetition of having him 'wait', at the end of the driveway for the leash to be attached, became a part of his routine, so he'll still wait for me.

Just one small example of consistency and repetition paying off.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How consistency and repetition works

Good Boy, Tucker!

Yeah Donna, Oona has me trained the same way. She won't retrieve a stick that is under 6 feet in length. When we are at the lake I hide these special sticks in the same location. I let her off leash and tell her to "get your stick." She runs to the spot, turns around and looks at me. Then I say, "go swim," and she carries the stick about 100 yards to the same sand bar that she swims off of. I know it must be quite a sight for runners that are coming around the corner to see my girl running at them with a log for the first time but the regulars are used to it by now. ;D
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Yeah Donna, Oona has me trained the same way.* She won't retrieve a stick that is under 6 feet in length.* When we are at the lake I hide these special sticks in the same location.* I let her off leash and tell her to "get your stick."* She runs to the spot, turns around and looks at me.* Then I say, "go swim," and she carries the stick about 100 yards to the same sand bar that she swims off of.* I know it must be quite a sight for runners that are coming around the corner to see my girl running at them with a log for the first time but the regulars are used to it by now. ;D
    Olie
    What a sight that has to be.

Tucker jumped into the creek one day....there's a big log lodged in the middle of it. He worked and worked that log, getting it unstuck and dragging it to the bank. He worked so hard.....hated to tell him he had to leave it. :

I can't say enough for giving dogs consistency and repetition. Labs love to please but they want to know the rules so they can please.

Here's Tasha fetching her tennis ball in the lake.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Very true. I've found that alot of Sami's learning has just taken place through routine. At night when I say "It's bedtime" she jumps up and runs to the door and rings the bell. Why? Because she knows she has to potty first before she can go to bed. When she's done she will run back inside and jump into her crate. Why? Because she knows she's going to get a cookie!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

tucker is a good egg ;D

consistency and repetition of actions does influence the behavior of our dogs and ourselves for that mattter, but more specifically, it's consistency and repetition of outcomes that drives behavior.

repeated behaviors are behaviors that result in desirable outcomes. decrease or extinction of behaviors are behaviors where an undesirable outcome occurs, so the dog decreases or stops that behavior to avoid that unwanted outcome.

the repetition of having him 'wait', at the end of the driveway for the leash to be attached, became a part of his routine
    if the outcome of the behavior of waiting usually results in something desirable, and tucker correctly learned to associate the behavior with the outcome, then tucker is likely to repeat this behavior.

pairing behaviors with outcomes comes in very handy in training.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

When Annie was a little puppy, she used to come in the bathroom with me and nip at my feet and eat toilet paper and drive me crazy. I tried putting her out and telling her no. I tried everything in the world.

THen one day I had this flash of brilliance and got tired of trying to teach her to stay out of the bathroom and I started closing the door when I was in there. She would just lay right there at the door and wait until I got out. When I came out, I would pet her and love her and say, "Good dog."

Then after a few weeks, I was in the bathroom putting some things up and didn't close the door. She came right up to the bathroom doorway and just laid right down there and watched me. She never once after that stepped a foot over the bathroom door threshold to come into the bathroom.

Again, repetition and consistency paid off!

Like Tucker (and 99.9% of all labs), Annie was extremely smart and wanted to please me. She would do anything if it made me happy with her. They're a special breed!

What a good boy! And what a wonderful place you must have. I am so envious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frances