biting/nipping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: biting/nipping

Defaultbiting/nipping

its her 2nd day in our house and everything seems ok but today while my daughter is playing with him my daughter cried coz rocky bit her or nipped her..rocky likes to bite on pants and also looks like hes targeting our hands ..when we try to pet him he tries to bite my hand.how do i stop this?my daughter loves him but i think todays incident made her scared of him.. which i dont want to happen.can u pls help me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: biting/nipping

Different people will give you different advise on this. Some people hold their mouths shut and say no. Other will say to get a small can with rocks in it and shake it to make a loud noise every time she does this.

The way we stopped it (and Annie was really bad about this) was to give a very loud grunt or growlish type noise. It sounds a lot like what the mother dogs do when disciplining the puppies. Simultaneously, we also would give her a little (repeat, very slight) pop on her snout. Nothing that would hurt her at all, but just for emphasis.

She stopped within just a few days. But the bottom line is that it definitely needs to be stopped. It's part of the alpha dog thing....you needing to assert yourself as the boss. Besides, that puppy is going to have little sharp puppy teeth for a long time and your hands and arms will look like you've been through a war! For a while, my hands and arms were so bad, I was ashamed to wear anything short-sleeved! :-\

My grandkids became scared of Tucker when he was a pup too, because of the nipping. You have to watch them closely around kids; those baby teeth can be wicked.

I'd hold his muzzle closed (gently) saying no bite. Or re-direct him...as soon as he went for a hand, put a toy in his mouth to chew instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

so eventually the biting of shirt's sleeves and pants will go away?im tryin to motivate my daughter now coz she wont go near him.. ..and she loves this puppy but she cant enjoy it ..she just wanted to play with him.

BaileyDawg Guest

Bailey has been receiving instant correction for grabbing; a firm 'no bite!' and then the attention he seeks is taken away entirely until he sits nicely and doesn't try to grab. Joe is rather the same way at the moment as your daughter, though he is not afraid of the puppy. He is afraid of the teeth, perhaps, but not the puppy! Joe LOVES to sit and stroke Bailey's head and scratch his ears when he is quiet, but he won't play with him anymore if Bailey begins to get mouthy. That is also teaching the pup; he's fast figuring out that his little friend doesn't want anything to do with him when he is grabbing, and Bailey enjoys Joe's company. Having Joe ignore him can be just as effective as my 'no bite!' command. He'll challenge it, but persistence is key, with Bailey for sure, and he is catching on. I've got to 'train' Joe at the same time... especially about running away as a method of getting Bailey to stop chasing him and grabbing his trousers and shoes : Joe enjoys Bailey as much as Bailey enjoys Joe, they're just both young and learning how to play with each other in a way that is satisfying each of them. Joe has a habit forming of expecting Bailey to grab before the puppy even reaches him, so he moves quickly to back away and avoid the teeth. What we're working on is getting him to sit quietly so that Bailey approaches quietly. Nothing to get excited over means less chance the teeth will be used. What has helped Joe the most is this: I have him sit on the sofa with me quietly, and then I call Bailey over. I pat the dog while Joe sits nicely with me, and sees that Bailey is just saying 'hello' and not in grabby mode. Then Joe pats the dog and everything is kept calm and happy. Joe chills and Bailey doesn't grab. I end it before either has a chance to blow it, by taking Bailey outside or giving him his puppy nylabone to distract, so it always ends on a positive beat. I give it a couple of weeks, based on current progress, and the grabbing issue won't BE an issue for Joe anymore. Especially after Bailey gets his second vaccinations done on the 12th, so he'll be ready for the park by the time Joe gets out on Christmas holidays on the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    so eventually the biting of shirt's sleeves and pants* will go away?im tryin to motivate my daughter now coz she wont go near him.. ..and she loves this puppy but she cant enjoy it ..she just wanted to play with him.
    Yes it'll quit....might be at 4-6 mos. of age, when the puppy teeth are gone. It's trying 'til then I know. I don't miss that stage :

well actually thats what i did this AM..i was sitting called my daughter and i called rocky and then we rubbed his tummy together..it worked and ill do it again after school..

Let me tell you this, your in for a fun ride!! My dog is almost 3 months old, and I have tried everything to get this guy to stop biting. Loud noises, holding his mouth shut, sour apple spray only get him more excited and he gets more aggressive.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwanzanator
    Let me tell you this, your in for a fun ride!!* My dog is almost 3 months old, and I have tried everything to get this guy to stop biting.* Loud noises, holding his mouth shut, sour apple spray only get him more excited and he gets more aggressive.*

Good Luck!!

oh thanks!maybe the bitter apple spray works better than sour apple spray hehehe..

kk4389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyDawg
    I end it before either has a chance to blow it, by taking Bailey outside or giving him his puppy nylabone to distract, so it always ends on a positive beat.
    I think giving the puppy a chew toy while the children sit and hold one end works REALLY well. My Mother Nanny's 2 children (one 6 and one 3) and the six year old is afraid of the pups when they are nippy and jumping. So I taught him to put a chew toy right in front of the pup's face and hold one end while the pup chews the other end. He then cab use his other hand to gently pet the puppy. This seems to be working fine.
    If the puppy gets nippy again with them, I tell them to say loud and sternly "No Bite!" and move away slowly repeating No Bite. It will teach them that we won't play with them unless they don't bite.
    Good Luck! I know it's tough. Just be persistant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast