Training... very overwhelmed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training... very overwhelmed

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining... very overwhelmed

Rowan isn't quite 4.5 months old yet but we have been working on sit and come! She does pretty good at these for the most part.

My question is ~ I am feeling very overwhelmed about how much I should be doing with her in the form of training.. ...... and exactly what I should be doing.

It is VERY cold outside here right now with temperatures being -37 (before windchill). Any advice, tips, or website info would be appreciated.

TIA
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training... very overwhelmed

Train indoors. A sitstay/downstay can be practiced in any room of the house. Use your hallway (w/all doors closed) to work on your recall or move onto
    retrieving. Indoors is also a great place to proof things like Leave it/Drop it/No Bark/Off.

Use HEEL even here and there in the cold on pottywalks. You're outside anyway.

It's harder when it's cold to keep up w/obed training, but it's not impossible.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

For me the easiest way to train was just to incorporate it into my day. Going to do laundry? Put a treat in your left hand and work on heel on the way to the laundry room. Cooking dinner? Work on sit and down. Playing with the kids? Put her in a sit/stay and have them hide and call Rowan to them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    For me the easiest way to train was just to incorporate it into my day.* Going to do laundry? Put a treat in your left hand and work on heel on the way to the laundry room.* Cooking dinner?* Work on sit and down.* Playing with the kids?* Put her in a sit/stay and have them hide and call Rowan to them.
    Pretty much same here. Right from the start, I just made things part of the routine. Sit before putting food down, sit before going out the door, sit before coming in the door. I started with sit and come, then on to others...wait, which has been the thing I use the most (here it means wait just a bit before doing something else). Played 'find it', having him sit and stay while I hid toys to find; it helped him to learn stay. Whatever things you want Rowan to learn, make them part of your daily routine. You may not think she's getting it, but she is...it'll all click in.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

She is having difficulty with 'stay' and 'down'.... I don't think she could grasp find it ~ how do I teach that... remember, I haven't been to any obedience etc. classes yet. :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

what kind of training i need to do on my 8wk pup besides potty training?do i have to start doing the sit/heel/ and other basic commands at this age or its too early?my priority now is the no bite policy how can i stop this?everytime i try to stop him he thinks im playing so he starts to bite my hands,pants,toes..

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    She is having difficulty with 'stay' and 'down'.... I don't think she could grasp find it ~ how do I teach that... remember, I haven't been to any obedience etc. classes yet. :
    Tucker and I took puppy classes when he was 16 weeks (4 mos.). I remember he wasn't good at stay and down then either. Have her sit, hold a treat in your hand in front of her nose, and just lower your hand straight down to the floor saying 'down'. She'll follow the treat (hopefully) and go down. Again, just lower your hand straight down from her nose to the floor. If she downs, praise and give her the treat....even if she only stays down a few seconds, she'll catch on and down longer as time goes on.

You can do puppy push-ups too, for sit and down. Using a treat, have her sit, then lower the treat to the floor for down, saying down. Keep the treat in your hand, raise it back up saying sit. Lower your hand to the floor again, saying down. Up and down. Do it slowly, and repeat sit and down a few times, then praise and give her the treat.

For stay, you can have her onleash (or off, whatever works best with her), have her sit. Facing her, back up to the end of the leash while saying stay, and holding your hand out, palm out, for the hand signal too, if you want. She may only stay a few seconds, but it's the start. Work on it and she'll get it, staying for longer periods.

You can play find it while teaching her stay too. Put her in a sit (in the house). Have a toy in your hand....you can physically have your hand on her chest while saying stay...toss the toy so she can see it, not far away. Tell her to find it. She'll go get the toy. Praise (and treat if you want). Next time, toss the toy further; hold your hand to her chest saying stay, then release her saying find it. Or if not physically having your hand on her chest, just say stay and use the hand signal. She may only stay for a few seconds, but it's the start.

As this game progresses, have her sit and stay for longer periods; toss the toy into another room, so she can go find it and bring it back. Later on, go and actually hide the toy. This uses their natural instinct to find and retrieve, and working on sit and stay. Tucker took time with stay. It ended up he'd jump up on a bed, excited 'cause he knew we were gonna play. I'd stay stay, and close the bedroom door some, then go hide the toy quickly, say 'ok, find it', and he'd jump off the bed and go searching.

Make training fun...don't expect a lot too soon. Keep sessions short and fun. You may not think she's getting things but she is (I remember thinking he wasn't 'getting' it...but as time went on, it all clicked together).

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    what kind of training i need to do on my 8wk pup besides potty training?do* i have to start doing the sit/heel/ and other basic commands at this age or its too early?my priority now is the no bite policy how can i stop this?everytime i try to stop him he thinks im playing so he starts to bite my hands,pants,toes..
    The best thing to do is play with your puppy. You're getting to know each other. But, as you go through your daily routine, you can slowly start teaching what you want him to know. Read through the advice others have posted in this thread for heel and such. Just start slowly and keep sessions short...they have a tiny attention span. You want training to be fun for them, and them not to get bored or lose interest. You could have him sit before eating. Sit before you open the door. Small steps like that.

For biting, I held his muzzle closed (gently) and said no bite, 'til he settled. That worked for awhile, 'til it started again (he'll probably nip 'til the puppy teeth are gone, between 4-6 mos.). Or use substitution...give him a chew toy; put it in his mouth when he goes for your hand or leg or whatever...it's re-directing him.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You can effectively train about 10 minutes a day. And everything should be a training session. Sit for the treat. Stand for your meal. Down while you are watching TV with the pup. Stay during commericals. Come when you are walking down the hall. The key is to show what you want and consistently incorporate it into every day life. All commands must be practiced all over the house and all over the yard. Dogs are very literal in the sense that initially Sit practiced in the living room is NOT the same as Sit in the kitchen. They need to be proofed everywhere so that they learrn that sit means sit no matter what or no matter where.

And at 4.5 months, you should only be incorporating mild corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    what kind of training i need to do on my 8wk pup besides potty training?do* i have to start doing the sit/heel/ and other basic commands at this age or its too early?my priority now is the no bite policy how can i stop this?everytime i try to stop him he thinks im playing so he starts to bite my hands,pants,toes..
    I think this might be the time to enroll your pup in a training class. The basics are sit, down, and come. Teach your pup to sit or down. And then come. Withdraw rewards until they obey your commands. You will have a much more secure dog if she knows the rules and gets rewarded for obeying them. Labs are extremely intelligent and train very easily ... I know our Tasha was the model dog in our training class the trainer used to demonstrate new commands.

As for the biting, I know what you are talking about, when your dog comes, stroke your dog on the ears or rump or belly but don't put your hand in a seemingly offensive position like opposed to her muzzle. Reward profusely for all good behavior ... like when you stroke her where she can't bite ... praise, praise, praise. Don't give in to the biting ... not once ... not ever. She will learn.

Also give her lots of chew toys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast