how many toys does a pup need?

Thread: how many toys does a pup need?

Defaulthow many toys does a pup need?

is it a positive trait to give your pup different kind of toys to fetch or u just stick to one?im kinda impressed with rocky this morning..i started throwing a ball and he would get it and bring it back to me or my daughter..i just have to take it off his mouth while im saying "drop it" is that good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how many toys does a pup need?

You can give your pup as many toys as you want. A good idea is to buy lots (avoid super expensive ones -- they will get ruined) and then rotate them on a weekly basis to keep the pup interested. Playing together is one of the best things you can do with your dog -- if they learn to love playing at a young age they will enjoy it for their whole life.

As for playing fetch, it is great to hear Rocky is a natural retriever! fetch is great fun and good exercise.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with the "buy them plenty of inexpensive toys" philosophy. They WILL tear up the toys!

As far as taking the toys from the puppy's mouth when he brings it back, that's fine. But make sure that the puppy is learning to drop it or release it and not learning "if I keep it in my mouth, then I can get into a great game of tug with dad." You might be able to physically take it from his mouth now, but when he gets bigger, it will be a game of tug....and that's not good. The puppy needs to learn to bring the ball or toy back and release it to you.

There are several good threads on how to teach them this over in the obedience forum and I think in this forum also. But the bottom line is.....YOU must be the alpha dog and the boss. YOU must dictate if the dog releases the toy. Playing tug is fine, but it MUST be when YOU want to play tug....not when the puppy wants to.

We taught Annie to release her toy by giving her a treat. She would exchange the toy for a treat. But the treat trick didn't work outside. We never did figure out how to get her to release objects outside! :-\

Good luck! A well-trained lab can be the greatest joy in the world! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would use different toys to play fetch this way they learn that it's ok to play with other toys not just the one or two. I agree to buy lots of inexpensive toys and rotate them every week or so it makes them last longer and keeps them interested in them. It worked great for Mocha and I still do it now that she's 2 1/2 she acts like she gets a new toy every time I get them out after a few weeks of not seeing them. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    is it a positive trait to give your pup different kind of toys to fetch or u just stick to one?im kinda impressed with rocky this morning..i started throwing a ball and he would get it and bring it back to me or my daughter..i just have to take it off his mouth while im saying "drop it" is that good?

Our "puppy" is 11 years old. When she was young and we took her to a training class, I think we learned not to pull the ball from her teeth. Instead, we taught her "drop it" and then rewarded her profusely when she did. Now of course when she fetches and we say "drop it" she does because she knows she won't get the ball thrown again until she does.

I think it's really important for you to "set the rules" and not deviate. Dogs like it when they know a routine and can always depend upon it.

I think you should give your dog as many toys as she wants ... I suggest for pups chew toys primarily. As for fetching, we've always used tennis balls.