Leaving Puppy Home Alone!! Help!!

Thread: Leaving Puppy Home Alone!! Help!!

DefaultLeaving Puppy Home Alone!! Help!!

My husband goes back to work this week and even though it is for a short time ( about 5 hours) I don't wether we should crate him for that long or maybe but the baby gate up in the hall. James ( husband) can come home about half way through to let him out to go to the bathroom, but still that is about 2 to 3 hours. And our Pup is only 8 weeks old. Anyone have any idea's?

Also the other day we put up a smaller gate and he jumped it while we were gone.... Any one else see an 8 week old puppy do this? We know he jumped it or a at least climbed it because the gate hadn't moved....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Leaving Puppy Home Alone!! Help!!

Crate him, absolutely. Although your pup may not like it now, these crates can become their own personal "home". They offer security to the pups, as well as you.

Leaving out a pup (especially a lab pup) is dangerous for several reasons. Not only can they jump gates and tear up your house, but they can also ingest who-knows-what that could cause a blockage or some other issue. If your pup is in the crate for a few hours, it will just get a nice nap, while giving you some piece of mind.

Just FYI- Larry is almost 2 and still gets crated whenever we are not home, or whenever we cannot watch him. Sometimes they are mature enough to go crateless when they are under a year old, and others can never handle the responsibility. I would die of nerves and anxiety if we were to leave him out alone at this point, knowing that he would be into EVERYTHING! :

Should I put his food in there and what about his water??

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would say that he should be fine without food for 5 hours. I'm not as about the water, but I would think that he'll be fine without that as well, since your SU will be coming home sometime during those 5 hours to let him out.

Try not to get too worried- at some point life does have to continue, even with the new pup!! No matter how hard Doyle and I try to work our schedules around Larry, it's just not feasible that someone be there 24-7 so that he can be out of his crate. This is completely natural...after all, you gotta go to the grocery store and have a life sometime.

The best thing to do for your pup is to establish a good routine with lots of fun play time. My guess is that your pup will be fine as can be for a nice morning nap and ready to give you a run for your money when it's done!

Honestly, I wouldn't put food or water in the crate with them. He might accidently knock it over then you would have a huge mess to clean up when you get home. Not to mention that (if I remember correctly) they will usually go #2 about 15 minutes or so after they eat. Good luck!! OH...and congratz on the new pup.

i left ours today for 3hours i had no problem with him..and now if i have the chance i take him out and do his thing..no accidents the whole day inside the crate or in the house..tonight will actually be his 1st night with a new routine..anyway does ur pup howls or cries at night when u guys go to sleep?ours doesnt im just wondering if how long will he stay like this.. i hope forever

Your baby will be fine in the crate while you are gone, especially if your husbands coming home to check during that time. Once you get them into a routine (crate when gone) they do very well. They do like their "special" place (we always called the crate thier house) once they are used to it.

Yes Crate, No food or water. He'll most likely sleep most of the time anyway just make sure he has access to water when he's out and let him out to potty right before you put him in and right when you get home.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above - crate, no water no food
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks everyone....Wish me luck...I may be a ny too muchervous wreck untill I get the call to tell that he is fine and I worry to much... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]