Prong collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prong collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultProng collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?

Some background...

We've tried the Easy Walk harness, and it works well except that if CoCo tries to run with it on it can trip her up by not allowing her front legs to extend... and I'm worried about injuring her.*

We've been through beginner and intermediate obedience classes.* CoCo is a star healer in class.. I can throw her leash over my shoulder and she'll ignore other dogs, treats, toys, etc... However, this absolutely does NOT translate onto the sidewalk.* I know we're to blame for this... CoCo is home alone during the day and she is soooo excited to go on her walk, with all the smells and people and other dogs, etc... Then there are the birds and the cats and, and, and... well, she would choke herself if we let her.

In the intermediate class the trainer asked us to try the GL.* We did, and it does work, but CoCo absolutely* HATES it.* Plus in the warm weather it doesn't allow her to pant enough, she sounds like she's dying.* In fact, DH refuses to use it on her.* He uses the flexi-leash when he walks her, which basically allows her to go wherever she wants, and he just calls her to him before approaching interesting distractions on the way... but he does not make her heal.* I walk her with the GL and her leather leash, and as I said, it works but she hates it.* Every few minutes she drops and tries to paw it off.* I know DH and I should be more consistent, but he's just as stubborn as CoCo is about it, and he does walk her more becaused I'm so tired in the evenings and its dark out by 5:30 these days.

My concern is that when I get further along in my pregnancy, or when I'm walking the baby in the stroller with CoCo, I want her to HEAL...* I want to have enjoyable walks for all of us!

So my BIL and MIL were walking all the dogs (the Boxer, the Rottie, and CoCo), and CoCo was pulling my MIL all over the place, so they decided to slip on the Boxer's pinch collar to see how it worked... well, according to MIL it was like walking a different dog.* She stayed by her side perfectly and didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.* Now, I wasn't totally impressed that they tried this with her without asking us first... but whatever, I choose my battles.* And I must say, I am intrigued.* A collar that works and that* doesn't drive her nuts...*

Of course, if we go this route I want to do it right.* Does anyone have any advice on how to properly use the pinch collar, or resources to recommend?* *

~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: Pinch collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?

I dont have any advise on how to use it. When I bought mine from Petsmart. They showed me how to fit it, and where to place on neck.

I can tell you I tried this thing on myself and didnt hurt at all. As soon as I put it on Mambo it was like having an angel on the leash. He gets happy when he see me take it out. He knows he is going for a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabymambo
    I dont have any advise on how to use it. When I bought mine from Petsmart. They showed me how to fit it, and where to place on neck.

I can tell you I tried this thing on myself and didnt hurt at all. As soon as I put it on Mambo it was like having an angel on the leash. He gets happy when he see me take it out. He knows he is going for a walk.
    Yes, I've actually tried them on when my BIL first got his... they have a Boxer and a Rottie, and as they are police officers they had the k-9 trainer give them private lessons... he slapped the pinch collars on those two and I think I could walk the two of them together now.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

I have to admit I bought the rubber tips for the collar, but never used them.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I use one on Frankie. The only advice I can give is you place it high up on their neck, just below the ears. My problem is, trying to keep it there. :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/prong.html

read the entire article, including the end where it has been revised.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

BudGirl8 Guest

Pinch collar is a godsend for me too, keep it high up around her ears, and you can pull the excess skin down to help keep it in place. It's still a little hard and occassionally requires some adjusting, but pulling the skin down should help.

As an aside, I just picked Billie up today from the vet where I was boarding her. The idiots there couldn't figure out why it was so "tight" and only hooked one prong when they put it on her. They were putting it down low on her neck. They said they knew how to use them but I guess I should've demonstrated when I dropped her off. : Most people drag them over the dogs head and keep them loose and low. Doesn't work so good - and I admit to being one of them before I read the articles. Good for you for reading before you use!

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/prong.html

read the entire article, including the end where it has been revised.
    Thanks - the ending is really where the majority of the how-to info is!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Prong collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?

That collar was a life saver for us. We have one all ready for our new puppy!

But one word of caution!!!!!! DO NOT LEAVE THE COLLAR ON THE DOG AROUND THE HOUSE OR ALL THE TIME! Use it only for training sessions and/or walking or when you are with the dog and need control. We left Annie's on her all the time around the house since it was easier to snap the leash on her to go outside.

Well, one day we heard these terrible screams from her and ran into the studio. She had been running around the corner and snagged the collar on the handle of the bottom filing cabinet drawer. She had actually pulled the entire drawer out of the filing cabinet and was dragging the drawer around. It had 3 or 4 packs of paper in it and some books and was VERY heavy. It was an awful scene! :-\ We are so thankful she didn't pull the entire filing cabinet over on her!! We felt just horrible. :-[

We learned our lesson and never, ever put that collar on her except when we were going to use it for a walk or training session.

DefaultRe: Prong collar - how to advice (or place to find this)?

When our trainier put the prong collar on Oona it was like he switched a light on in her. By the second time around the room she was heeling. We haven't had to use it for years because we were consistant with what we wanted from her. Now when she walks with me on the leash we use a flat collar. When we are at the park she never strays more than 30 feet away and always comes back on a verbal recall.
    The only thing I would add to what everyone else has said is don't let her play with other dogs while she is wearing the prong collar because the other dog could get caught in it.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast