Abandonment issues

Thread: Abandonment issues

DefaultAbandonment issues

Hi all-

Our shelter adopted lab just celebrated her first full week with us today! It's great weather in Boston and we've been out all weekend. She's roughly 5-6 months old based on the shelter's best guess and we have no idea about how she was raised up until we got her. Kaylee has been a dream- sits on command, lays around watching TV, fetches anything you throw and brings it back, sleeps all night,hasn't gone in the house, loves her crate. Makes me think someone showed her some love and affection along the way. The only thing we have a problem with is she can't stand to be out of our sight. We walk out of sight and she barks. We had her on a 40' tie-out in our 1 acre yard and she loved running and playing and just sitting watching us rake leaves, but if we go in the house, she loses it. We let her bark a good 30 minutes, then went out and totally ignored her and walked right by her, and she just came near where we were and layed down peacefully. She doesn't always need attention- she just needs to see us. I've tried a number of tips I've read here,I nevermake a big dealof coming and going, I have her in the kitchen with baby gates and we go up stairs and outside for a minute or 2 at a time,she barks, then we come in and ignore her, but she stops.

I know she's only been with us a week and may have issues because of being bounced around. I'm laid off and spend all day, every day with her and we run and play and watch TV and nap and I do things with her in the kitchen, but she can usually see me and just lays about. Will she grow out of this? Is thre something I can do to curb this behavior? I'm home full time for 3 months with the goal of training Kaylee. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Abandonment issues

I suggest one of the booklets from Dr. Patricia McConnell, such as "I'll Be Home Soon"* Your Lab is understandably a little antzy about being abandoned again and it may take some repetitive brief separations and reuinions to restore a sense of trust.

http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/books-retail.php
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

from the dog's point of view:

I bark, and my pack returns. Woo hoo, it worked - they came when I called! Good humans!

So you can't return when she barks. Set it up so she's behind the baby gate and you're nearby, within sight. If she's quiet, (even for a split second initially) give her QUIET praise and perhaps toss a toy or treat. She starts to bark, you abruptly turn and leave.

work up to stepping out of sight, then returning with quiet praise and reward if she stays quiet. Increase the length of time between departure and reward. Try not to overdo the reward - you want to reward calm behaviour throughout, and getting over-enthusiastic will just wind her up and make things harder.

By the way, LOVE the name you chose. (I have a Kaylie-pound dog too....although mine is yellow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Dan, I don't have any advice for you but I wanted to tell you how beautiful she is!! :-*

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Nix the tie out. The dog has already had one family turn its back on her, and she may be fearful that it's going to happen again.

And on top of that are all the safety issues surrounding a tie-out. I think it's a bad idea all 'round.......

DefaultThanks all!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. We'll just have to wait her out. I've read some folks do the spray water in the face routine. I want her to love the water, as we're at the water quite a bit in the summer. Not sure that's the way to go for us- have her hate water.

As for the tie out- I'm against leaving a dog alone on a tie out, but we have an acre back yard and we're on a very busy street, so until the Petsafe invisible fence comes and is installed, we have her on a really long tie out ONLY when we're out there with her. While she's on it we toss the ball and frisbee and play with her, or just sit with her. We just have it as a precaution if she decides to run if she see's a squirell or something- which she did the first few days we had her. When we come in, she comes in- no tie out alone. We raked leaves and stayed around her, and we went in the house just as an exercise to get her to get used to us being out of sight. The tie out is only a precaution- not an all day unsupervised dog sitter.

-Dan

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

We had her on a 40' tie-out in our 1 acre yard and she loved running and playing and just sitting watching us rake leaves, but if we go in the house, she loses it. We let her bark a good 30 minutes,
    ? ? ?

"We raked leaves and stayed around her, and we went in the house just as an exercise to get her to get used to us being out of sight. The tie out is only a precaution- not an all day unsupervised dog sitter. "

We went in and out for about 30 mins to see if she'd stop.....

she's probably just making sure our not leaving her forever, I'd keep practicing it. even if only for a few minutes so she gets used to you always coming back ;D - she's a cutie. good luck.