Drop it trouble

Thread: Drop it trouble

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultDrop it trouble

Ok I am on week 5 of puppy training. Willow was doing well with the DROP IT command but now she seems to have reverted.

Lately there a few toys of my sons that she always seems to grab a (stuffed animalI ronically a black lab puppy) and she just won’t let go. Even with a treat in front of her nose she holds her grip.

She has no stuffed animals or plush toys so there shouldn’t be any confusion on what is hers and what is not.

Her jaws are very strong now and even trying to pry them open is hard and I don’t want to hurt her or try pulling the toy away because I don’t want to damage it or let her think were playing tug.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Drop it trouble

'DROP' or 'LEAVE IT' is one of those commands that takes a lot of work. 'LEAVE IT' is certainly not my dogs strong point especially when it comes to food. :

I may be stating the obvious but have you tried exchanging her stolen toy for one of her own? remember, if there are loads of children's toys lying around at her floor level, she DOES think they are hers. If they are on the floor they are fair game.

I would not even try to pry her mouth open. That turns it into a big game and of couse she is getting what she wants...attention.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

If you can safely curl her lips under her own teeth, this can aid w/DROP. You exert just enough pressure that she's basically biting herself, and then when she releases, PRAISE - PRAISE - PRAISE!!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    If you can safely curl her lips under her own teeth, this can aid w/DROP. You exert just enough pressure that she's basically biting herself, and then when she releases, PRAISE - PRAISE - PRAISE!!!!!!
    This is what I did. Rocky was HORRIBLE at drop it. There was NO trade worth his tennis ball. But the above technique worked wonders. He occasionnaly plays stubborn even now and I use that tip again, but he is fairly solid with the drop it on normal objects (poop excluded : )
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky