Need help with puppy playing and getting control

Thread: Need help with puppy playing and getting control

DefaultNeed help with puppy playing and getting control

Hello All,

We have a 12 week old puppy at home.

He's getting pretty lively in his play that when I am sitting on the floor (or even on the couch) and he decides he wants to play he comes over and growls/barks and jumps up and nips. We were told to pinch his lip and say No Bite! which we do, however sometimes he is so reved up that just the simple act of moving my hand towards his face will get him going more and the no bite! does nothing except get him to growl/jump/bite more...

So, what in your experiences works in this situation? First off, I don't like the jumping - especially when I'm on the floor - sometimes I feel like if I don't react he might nip my face. Secondly, I obviously don't like the biting and I don't like the growling/barking either. I know he is a puppy and puppies do these things but I know he is going to be a big dog and is growing quickly so I want to get a handle on all of this. I also have two toddlers (but that is a whole other post!! )

When he gets like this - should I stick around and do the no bite! thing - I don't know about this since like I said hand movements toward him tend to escalate the situation. Or should I simply just get up and ignore him and only pay him attention when he calms down? If I get up and walk away is it interrpreted by him that I'm backing away and not addressing the biting, jumping, growling/barking, etc??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with puppy playing and getting control

When he starts getting revved up to the point where you can't control him he needs a time out. Put him in his crate to calm down. The crate should never be seen as a punishment but if you remove him calmly (don't raise your voice or get angry) and leave him he will learn that his behavior is not getting him what he wants. Remember, dogs are social animals, and would MUCH rather be in with the family than alone in the crate so only let him cool down for 5 minutes before taking him out again.

Another thing, make sure you are getting in a good few play sessions a day. Puppies have a lot of energy. If you are not already a good rule of thumb to follow is the '5 minute rule' -- 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. For a 12 week old puppy that is 15 minutes. Bumping that up to a good 20 minutes won't hurt. Try X2/10 minutes sessions a day...one in the morning, one in the afternoon and perhaps a quick one before lights out. You should also work on training (they are never too young to start!), mental stimulation and getting him used to the leash.

kk4389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by OurFamily
    He's getting pretty lively in his play that when I am sitting on the floor (or even on the couch) and he decides he wants to play he comes over and growls/barks and jumps up and nips. We were told to pinch his lip and say No Bite! which we do, however sometimes he is so reved up that just the simple act of moving my hand towards his face will get him going more and the no bite! does nothing except get him to growl/jump/bite more...
    I notice with my 2 puppies that they get REALLY excited and hyper when someone sits on the floor with them. I think they see it as you wanting to play with them (like getting down to their level). I ALWAYS make sure I have plenty of biting/chew toys lying around for them to take their nipping/biting aggrerssion out on.
    One thing I do that works well is sit on the floor and hold a chew toy while they bite on it. It actually seems to relax them a little. They will often lay across my lap and chew away. It reminds me of bottle feeding a baby. It definetly is soothing for them as well as for me!
    Good Luck and just be patient with him!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster, you always have good advice.

Look how cute those chocolate babies are!

I would get up off of the floor. We didn't get on the floor to play with Oona until she was about 18 months old.
    Olie