Male vs. Female voice

Thread: Male vs. Female voice

DefaultMale vs. Female voice

Does it seem like your puppy/dog responds better to a male voice?
    The reason I ask is recently i have been dating someone who is over at the house quite a bit. Toby has never really seen me and a guy be affectionate before and it took him a bit to warm up to him. Now he really likes him, which I'm extremely happy about and gets very excited when he comes over. However, it seems now that when I give him a command Toby takes a while to respond and follow through while my boyfriend says it once and Toby is "yes sir right away sir." I've tried changing the tone of my voice, putting a mean face on (like my boyfriend), and even trying to make myself look taller but all Toby does is ignore me, run away, or simply cock his head in confusion. This really only happens when my boyfriend is around...other times Toby listens fine. I'm getting a little frusterated and i hate to admit it, but alittle jealous. Has the pack just changed? Is my boyfriend now the pack leader when he is around?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Male vs. Female voice

in my experience, most dogs ADORE a very high, squeeky voice for praise, but IMO it is the fact that most men are less* ''wordy'' that makes them get listened-to better/more.* men tend to say a command, then expect obedience to it.* most women get in the habit of repeating things, [perhaps from talking to toddlers?!?!] so the dog starts thinking there are 'freebies' and waits to find out which command is the 'real one'.....
    just some food for thought!

I agree with the queenofthedogs,we too often will repeat instead of the one time command. Maybe try changing your expectations when you give a command and see what happens. Don't feel too bad about the lack of attention, it could just be a phase too or like with kids its someone new to get attention from so they don't really think they have to listen to "mom. I could talk till I was blue in the face when we are hunting and still would not be listened to like my husband. Any other time what I say goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If I were in your shoes I would do some more obediance with Toby to reinforce your position. And as Queenofthedogs said the command is one word, one time.
    Olie

My husband and I got Lexie together.* He never had a pet before, say anything about a lab puppy, so I do all the training, I feed her, I walk her, I play with her, etc etc.* To this day, if he says one thing to her she jumps right into that command.* If he is around and I tell her to do something, she takes her sweet ole time.* I feel your pain about being 2nd all of a sudden, but it is probably like everyone else mentioned about our expectations and the dog thinking they can wait and maybe obey or not.

**And just a note though, even though Lexie listens to him much better, she always sleeps near me, cuddles with me, comes to me to ask for a drink or for me to throw her ball.* He gets upset that she never wants to be with him.* I tell him its cuz he puts on his "mean face" to her, as you say.

fburke is offline Senior Member

My Willow is the same way. She listens to me the first time (well almost) and when my wife tries to give a command Willow just looks at her like ya right ma you want me to do what?...l

However believe it or not Willow is starting to listen to my 2 1/2 year old son he can now tell her to sit and lay down and Willow does well with him even though the words spoken form a true toddler don’t always sound correct* 8)

My wife gets a little frustrated with this* 8)

Interesting discussion.

I do almost all the training with Ranger. My husband plays with him a lot and will train a bit while he does it.

My profession requires me to be a "take charge" kind of person, which is my personality. When I give a command, I will tend to lower my voice. I've noticed that most women in training have a probelm giving a really good command and firm. For men it seems to come natural.

Who does he listen to more? I think me. My husband tends to want to go to shouting the command (which is really just being louder than me), which honestly scares Ranger...which makes him unsure of how to react. I "save" my yelling at Ranger sparingly...so when it is really urgent...he will respond.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have some friends with a large YM born the same day as my Puff (but from a different litter).

Their Lab usually obeys Bill but he obeys Diane much better.

Diane's voice isn't as low in pitch as Bill's but when she gives a command to their Lab, she expects it to be obeyed -- pronto.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

The voice thing can cut both ways -- Men tend to BARK commands, which can really frighten a pup or a timid dog.

It's a generality, sure, but in obed classes, I find I'm reminding women a lot not ot ASK the dog to do something.

They tend -- in general... all the usual non-sexist qualifiers here -- to raise their voices at the end of the command, so it becomes more of a question than an instruction.

Siiiiit? Tobey, Siiiiiiiiiiiit? Tobey, Dooooooooownn??

It's easy to fix once you're aware of it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been thinking about this alot and I think I've found my problem. Dweck, you got it right on the nose...my commands do sometimes sound like a question. My boyfriend does BARK and I simply ask, thats gotta be it. I've been keeping my commands to one time or no treat and Toby is defiantly starting to understand I mean business. Soooooooon, I will have my female power back (insert evil laugh here)!